how to cope and work

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

how to cope and work

Postby MusicCC » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:35 pm

I keep going to type something but find I don't know what to say. I'm really struggling at the moment and just need some support. Have had fibromyalgia for almost 12 years. I'm 29 and I work full time but I'm finding it particularly hard this year. Have had time off here and there over last year and when I'm in work have often had to be dragging myself through feeling so tired and struggling with pain. I love my job and wish I had more energy. Doctor is now working on medication with me. There has been a little improvement at times which is good but it's up and down. Yesterday was a great day and I felt really positive. First one I've had in a long time. Then today, not so good. Feeling really emotional tonight and have been easily upset and emotional of late. My concentration is bad which means it's taking me longer to do things, falling behind and then even more stressed. Feel guilty when I'm not on top of things. And feel guilty as not doing as much in the house either. My partner has been great and he's a real support but I feel guilty. I'm sure he must be sick of hearing what's hurting and when all of a sudden I'm tired again and I feel like I'm no fun.

I know there are a lot of you that can't work and I don't mean to be complaining. Is there anyone who still works full time and how do you cope with it?
MusicCC
UKFM Newbie

Re: how to cope and work

Postby SchroedingersCat » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:14 pm

Still work full time, mostly though bloody mindedness. No meds.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Andyp » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:22 pm

I also work full time, but find it very hard going at times. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia nearly 2 years ago, I'm still finding it very hard to accept - I also have depression which I've had for over 20 years.

Although, I feel tired all the time going to work gives me a reason to get up in the morning, but I have recently took 4 weeks off as it got too much for me - I did the same last year.

If you can manage work, then I would carry on with it. I don't know what job you do, but is it a job where you could work from home 1 or 2 days a week which is what I do.

I'm going to stop now because I'm probably talking rubbish - hope you find a solution which works for you.
Andyp
UKFM Member

Postby AliAndy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:11 pm

Hi fellow struggler. I work full time and a part time job. How to cope? Sheer grit and determination. I find it really hard to get up in a morning and some days my husband has to help me get ready. Once I am moving things start to get a bit easier. I too have slowed down at work due to the "fog". Thankfully work are fairly understanding. I have a wonderful husband who understands when on some days I get in and go straight to bed and stay there until morning. I hate not being able to keep on t op of housework but I have decided it all comes down to listening to your body and doing what it wants. Dust will always be there, just some days you have to try to push through the pain, but not to much !!

I really sympathise with you.

Gentle hugs

Ali
AliAndy
UKFM Newbie

Postby craftieness » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:45 pm

I have had fibro issues since 1989 although not diagnosed until 2008. During that time I changed my job according to what I could do I stopped being a QC as couldn't be on my feet all day. I moved to office work but had to stop that after no longer being able to sit for long periods of time. I worked as a carer whilst re-training at college to be a holistic therapist and once qualified went self employed . . . . .until my arms & hands could no longer be trusted not to let me down. Through all of this I looked after 4 children and as time went n, 2 grandchildren. I think I must be one of those stubborn & bl**dy minded people ! I eventually worked for a retail hearing company, but after needing quite a bit of time off I was made redundant.

When I went into my local Jobcentre for help in finding work, I reeled off my experience along with my health issues and the lady interviewing me advised me to see my GP as she did not think I was fit for work !

All you can do is your best. If you have to change your job type then so be it. Work for as long as you are able, rest as much as you need. If you can work from home then brilliant. I wish you well and send you hugs . . . . :grouphug:
craftieness
UKFM Newbie

Postby fitbit » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:33 pm

I work full time, but have requested reduced hours for medical rrasons. I now do 4 days a week 7am until 4pm. This is only fpr 6 months. Tjis has helped but now worrying about having to go back full time. The problem is my work is still the same i just have less hours to do it in.
I get home and sleep, we don't do much at the weekend as I'm tired. Not sure what is the best thing to do. Please let me know if you find out hah :-D
fitbit
UKFM Newbie

Postby galio » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:50 pm

i reduced my ours last year and am struggling, i had 6 weeks off before the school holidays so that made 12 weeks off, in the time I actually had a life! my house got tidied slowly but surely, and i had energy to go out for lunch with my son and visit my mum, I have been back to school 2 weeks and have been in bed before 7pm a good few nights the house is slowly getting mucky again as i'm too tired to keep on top of it and my life is work rest sleep, last week i was so exhausted i dragged myself into work and when my HT said i looked tired i told her i was nearly there in my jammies as it was a close thing get dressed or drive to work! to her credit she said oh dont worry come in in your jammies we will tell the kids your fundraising, some how i think it would be a different matter if i did rock u up in them lol. i am giving it till Xmas and if im still like this i am seriously thinking of dropping hours again i would have to go through occupational health i think but after losing my daughter to a brain tumor i have decided life is too short to live like a zombie yes we need my income as my husband is on half the wages he was on last year and things are tight but if we lose our house so be it, at least we can get a house with no stairs eventually from the council which would be a help in the future! I will have a life outside fibro!!!!
sorry rant over lol hope you can find a solution to your quest to work still, I do want to work as long as i can but its not the whole world.
galio
UKFM Member

Postby MusicCC » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:54 pm

Thanks everyone for replying (both on here and on facebook). I appreciate the understanding and support. I need to try remember to pace myself and try not and feel guilty as making stress worse but its hard. I can't cut down my hours yet and I want to keep working full time for as long as I can. But that doesn't mean it's not tough. :-? Thanks, it was good to vent xxx
MusicCC
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia