Visual disturbances

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Visual disturbances

Postby stodgers » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:13 am

Has anyone had any problems with vision? I have had what i call slightly hazy vision for years. Been thoroughly checked and there is nothing wrong with my eyes so guessing it's just another fibro symptom for me.

The last few weeks though i have been getting flashing /flickering in the peripheral vision. Had an emergency check up at eye clinic incase of retinal tears etc but all looked ok and now waiting on a proper appt.

The doc did suggest though that it could be a side effect of one of my meds or could just be a fibro thing as she's known it to happen unexplained in fibro sufferers before!

Anyone had something similar?
stodgers
UKFM Member

Re: Visual disturbances

Postby Alexandromeda » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:40 am

I get problems with my eyes. Feel strained and not focusing properly.
Alexandromeda
UKFM Newbie

Postby smig » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:56 am

I have had problems with my vision for some time now but wasn't sure if it was caused by fibro or the diabetes that I have too. I do notice that from about mid afternoon onwards my vision progressively gets worse
smig
UKFM Member

Postby Lilmagic » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:11 am

Yes. I get 'visual blanks' where my eyes/brain refuses to register what I'm looking at for a split second and I also have times when sky-high I'm looking at something I can't focus on it. Everything seems jumbled and then just as I get an image it goes again. Usually happened in shops where there are a lot of different stimuli, but not always. Very disconcerting.
Lilmagic
UKFM Newbie

Postby Jeany » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:19 am

Yes I have experienced this too, but it comes and goes for periods of time, and my optician found nothing wrong either.

Some times it is like a circle of light to my side vision, or wavy lines of light to my side vision. I have also thought that things are moving when in fact they are stationary. Very disturbing and of course it can cause stumbles & falls.

Maybe it has something to do with nerves somewhere, or just the dreadful tiredness.

Jeany
Jeany
UKFM Member

Postby Susan Stokes » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:31 am

Yes, me too. My vision fluctuates so much so it's very difficult when I have my eyes tested. The last two or three prescriptions I've had have been wrong. I think if I had them tested every week for a month every one would be different. My present glasses aren't helping me at all.
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Postby bekindtoyou » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:06 pm

Yes I have flickers of light in my peripheral vision and wavy lines on the lower lids when I close my eyes. I have been noted to have PVD Post vitriol detachment but apparently it doesnt always show up at opthamology apps.
My sight was first to be effected as I had a permanent visual distortion .. Poss migraine aura .. Couldn't read or do close up stuff.. This is getting better now. I have flashes of light when I go from light to dark . It's all happened since fibro cfs big flare up .
bekindtoyou
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:21 pm

Brian Barr posted an excellent article regarding just this matter on his face-book page. It talks about all the possible outcomes one may face with their eyes due to the fibro.

I highly recommend that you read it, not to frighten you, but to have you peacefully understand that this is something else that many of us have in common.

xx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby claudine1288 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:53 pm

I have a similar problem, which manifested itself after cataract surgery. I get luminous circles when I am in a bright place, and those remain even after I've left it. I feared a vitreous tear, or even a retinal one, but everything seems OK. I also have the wavy lines, but those happen as aura to my migraines. After a year of worrying, and four ophtalmologist visits, I am now relatively reassured that nothing is seriously wrong. Yes, fibro probably.
claudine1288
UKFM Member

Postby stodgers » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:18 pm

Jeany wrote:Yes I have experienced this too, but it comes and goes for periods of time, and my optician found nothing wrong either.

Some times it is like a circle of light to my side vision, or wavy lines of light to my side vision. I have also thought that things are moving when in fact they are stationary. Very disturbing and of course it can cause stumbles & falls.

Maybe it has something to do with nerves somewhere, or just the dreadful tiredness.

Jeany

Exactly how mine is! Guessing it is gonna just be another one of those symptoms we have to put up with!
stodgers
UKFM Member

Postby kitten » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:30 pm

I have this , I seemed to be always cleaning my glasses it was just like they had a flim on them , I had been going to a well know opticians begin and ends in SS for a long time mention this at the last visit as it seemed to be going worse . no joy changed to Vision Express and told him that I always seem to be cleaning my specs and that it felt that I had grit in my eyes and my eyes some days felt sore .
Not surprised one you have got dry eyes, and two the fibromyalgia is part of your eye trouble as we all know where every there is a muscle !!!!!! also at times I seem to see little blue dots they are not floaters ,
since I have been using eye drops and a new glasses it has some what improved , but some night its back to keep cleaning them and then realize that it's my eyes that have has enough :(
kitten
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia