Inflatable mattress?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Inflatable mattress?

Postby velvet » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:13 pm

Firstly a bit of hopeful/good news - the issue I have been having with my legs (stuck in bath thread) have shown some improvement. Last Saturday for no more reason than stopping working properly in the first place they seemed to start responding to nerve instruction properly again (cant describe it exactly but definite difference) so now just have "normal" muscle wastage weakness and exhaustion - and that seems to be responding normally to gentle exercise so maybe it was just another weird fibro thing although I will be checking in with my doctor.

Anyway after that from last Monday to yesterday I was on a camping trip. Definitely not the ideal time to go away and all things considered I would have preferred not going but it was paid for and I could not get out of it - and although very tiring I did enjoy it. (Lots of sitting around in the sun while other people did things for me). There has been one surprising outcome - I spent the week on an air filled bed and slept wonderfully with far less pain in the mornings. Glad to be home yesterday I looked forward to sleeping in my own bed only to have a rather disturbed night and significant discomfort by the morning.

Now while I have been looking at my mattress at home with suspicion for a little while (also my partner who has a habit of migrating to the centre of the bed during the night leaving me with less space) I had always been under the impression that air filled camp beds were far inferior to normal beds when it came to pain and rest and I expected to have a bad week. OK I did have a double to myself as my partner did not come but even so the comfort was wonderful. I am now even considering replacing my mattress with 2 single inflatable ones (to try and prevent partner creep).

Has anyone else had this or does anyone use an inflatable mattress? Is it worth changing over to one in my regular bed? Or was it just cause I was on holiday?
velvet
UKFM Regular

Re: Inflatable mattress?

Postby debbie647 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:21 pm

Hi, I have had fibromyalgia for 16 years and have constant pain in back, neck and shoulders. I sleep on an airbed when camping and ive also found that I seem to have a more peaceful sleep. Normally I wake with chronic back pain but after sleeping on an airbed wake quite refreshed and hardly any pain.
debbie647
UKFM Newbie

Postby velvet » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:42 am

I have been doing a bit of research on the net and it seems that where air mattresses including camping ones have come on such a long way from the old lilo style things that leaked during the night they are now a serious choice for pain relief. Hospitals and care homes use ones with cycling pressure to help with pressure sores and wound care so I guess they are effective. It looks like even the high end ones are cheaper than a good traditional solid mattress so I am seriously considering one as a replacement - though probably not just a camping one lol.
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby loverliesgal » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:59 pm

I too found a drastic improvement in both pain levels and sleep whilst staying on an airbed earlier this summer. Hubbies response to that was I could have a tent on the side of the house with an airbed if I so desperately wanted one
loverliesgal
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia