Telling people at work

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Telling people at work

Postby Andyp » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:08 pm

This has probably been discussed here before.

I was telling somebody at work yesterday about my condition, as well as Fibromyalgia, I also have depression. They suggested
that I might want to more open about my condition with others in the team. Up to now, I have been very selective in who I have told, partly because I don't think everybody needs to know and if they did know I would feel I was being watched all the time and also I don't want any kind of pity or anything like that.

I would be interested to read others' experiences, views on this.
Andyp
UKFM Member

Re: Telling people at work

Postby carolad » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:52 pm

I tend not to tell anyone about my health issues. Like you, I don't want pity and I don't want to be singled out as 'different'. I also don't want to get drawn into those conversations where everyone is complaining about their problems and trying to outdo each other!! ;-) I think I do my job well, certainly I do it to the best of my abilities and I try to make sure my health problems don't affect my work. So as far as I'm concerned, my health is my personal business and no-one else needs to know about it :-)

Having said that, everyone is different - I'm not saying this is the the 'right' approach, it just works for me. So I would say just go with what you feel happy with, don't feel you have to tell people if you aren't comfortable with it.
carolad
UKFM Member

Re: Telling people at work

Postby whoami » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:35 pm

I was put on a 100% pension before I went back to work. My husband has a few medical conditions and the people he works close to know. One being diabetic it is important for them to know. He has restrictions on what he is to do and those who work close to him know why. He has never been questioned by them, they are helpful and understand the reasons why he can only perform to a certain level some days. It is up to you, you know the people you work with and how they are likely to react. You do not however have to justify or define your illness if you don't want to.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia