Exercise??

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Exercise??

Postby Raecollie » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:30 pm

I haven't yet been diagnosed formally but suspisions are pointing to fibromyalgia.

I'm wondering what people use to help ease symptoms? I love exercise, i try to run and go to the gym and love rock climbing and mountaineering. But i am finding it increasingly difficult to do, it is becoming painful when i am running and i am easy to pick up injuries. But over the past month or so the only exercise i have done is rock climbing and walking my dogs and i feel that since i have stopped my pains are gettingg worse, but now i hurt so much, the desire to get back doing those exercises is deminishing fast!!

Does anyone else find exercise helps, and if so what sort do you find the best? I can't swim and don't have access to a gym at the moment so other than rock climbing i need to find "home gym" things to do.

Thanks in advance
Raecollie
UKFM Newbie

Re: Exercise??

Postby Happy Girl » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:57 am

I find exercise is difficult as well. The important thing is to find exercise you can manage that is gentle. I use a treadmill to walk, an exercise bike and a stepper plus exercise from a physio . I suggest the best thing is to ask to be referred to a physio, they will help you with a range of exercise you can do at home. Might also be time to make friends with the water even if you don't actually swim; you can do so much more in the water than you can out of it. Get warm quickly afterwards though.
Determined to be happy
Happy Girl
UKFM Member

Postby Raecollie » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:37 pm

My problem with the swimming is access. I can't afford to pay for the gym membership to get access to a pool.

I was thinking of getting a yoga DVD!
Raecollie
UKFM Newbie

Postby galio » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:18 pm

I walk I have always loved walking but in recent years I have stiffened up due to my hypermobility syndrome and then the pain of fibro joined the party, but I try to such through, as part of my job i am in a large multi area playground so out of interest i put on my map my walk and discovered some days i can walk over half a mile in the half hour lunch break, so thats 3 days a week sorted, another day another school they take the kids out and they walk a mile every afternoon after lunch, rather boring doing circuits of the local park but thats another bit done, and at weekends if not an evening (less likely now its dark earlier) my husband and I have a walk between 1.5 and 3 miles depending on how im feeling. after a combination of me feeling ill and bad weather I didnt get to walk for a few weeks and boy did i know the difference, I find it hard to actually get going but feel much better after even less pain than when im not doing any walking.
galio
UKFM Member

Postby Raecollie » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:17 pm

I need to get back into it, maybe once i have broken through that first barrier i will be able to get back into it. I definitely find that i am in more pain when i don't fo things.

I am planning to do a walk this sunday with the local rambling group this weekend, i'm hoping that will make me feel better!
Raecollie
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia