GERD

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

GERD

Postby stodgers » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:53 pm

Anyone suffer with this?
stodgers
UKFM Member

Re: GERD

Postby Jeany » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:46 pm

Had it 10 years and I think it is linked to the fibromyalgia.
Jeany
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:39 pm

That is a yes!!!

I was diagnosed long before the Fibro, but I wonder if it was a precursor of things to come. Now my swallow reflex is so bad, that I cannot swallow my own spit....and laying in bed at night, I am known to choke on my medication as it trickles back up my throat due to laying down.

Bummer condition..

xx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby Anuib6 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:01 pm

I have had GERD for a very long time, before Fibro & it does seem to get worse at certain times. I do also have a Hyatus Hernia too which does not help. At certain times & with the fibromyalgia I have had to go into hospital as they all think it's my heart but No it's the GERD & Acid Reflux,
Anuib6
UKFM Member

Postby Jeany » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:15 pm

The medications for reflux also cause bone pain & brittle bones, so it's a terrible combination. I worry about the long term effects of both reflux and the medications. A no win situation.
Jeany
UKFM Member

Postby stodgers » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:19 pm

I've recently been getting really bad chest pains and this is what they are putting it down to. I am suffering with bad reflux but i actually believe I have gallstones which is causing the reflux. Back to the docs again tomorrow for about the 8th time in 2 months :(
stodgers
UKFM Member

Postby crazy_cat_lady » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:12 am

i started getting chest/stomach pains on and off earlier this year, that became more regular over the last couple of months. pain that feels like the top of my stomach/esophygus is being squeezed, with pain radiating up my chest, tightening my throat and making my ears hurt! no sickness/vomiting/hearburn or reflux. first time i went to drs they just gave me anti sickness tablets,(metaclopimide) which made no difference. went back yesterday, got different dr(as wanted to discuss shoulder problem with same dr id seen before about it) and she thought sounds like gerd and gave me Omeprazole, but also ordered bloods to check/rule out helicobacter.

if it continues/worsens, i think ill be pushing them for further investigastion regarding hernia, since ive seen what one did to my dad, he was diagnosed 30 yrs ago at same age as me (40ish) with a stress induced hiatus hernia and told then it was inoperable, 2 years ago during checks on his lungs, consutlant had a hissyfit when he found the hernia had been untreated/ignored that long (by this time it was reducing his lung capacity by 2 3rds!!) and had him in surgery a week later! so id rather not ignore it that long, and if stress definatly causes HH then youll see a picture of me beside the definition of it!!! lol i have already established stress is a major contributer/exasibator of my fm.

(as for the shoulder - yet another cortisone jab to come, this time to be done during scan to get it in the right place,)
tired all the time!! zzzzzzzzz
crazy_cat_lady
UKFM Member

Postby Jeany » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:47 pm

I knew stress caused stomach ulcers and reflux, but had no idea caused hernia. I have suffered over 10 years with reflux Tec, and get pressure in chest too, but I can't tolerate endoscopy.
Jeany
UKFM Member

Postby Genevieve489 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:55 pm

I was diagnosed with LPR - laryngopharyngeal reflux disease - in November 20113, about 18 months before I was diagnosed with fibro. I've got IBS as well and understand that it's all part of the same fibro package.
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia