TENS

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

TENS

Postby Butterfly8588 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:16 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm just after a bit of advice really. I've heard a lot of good things about TENS machines and thought I'd try one. I dont find them quite the miracle cure everyone seems to think it is but my main problem is that I find the stimulation from the machine so IRRITATING! It doesn't matter how low I have the setting my skin just can't stand it. It feels like someone is dragging needles across my skin constantly. I also can't use anything above the A setting cos it hurts to much.
Has anyone else had this problem? How do you fix it? I'm desperate for it to work!

Thank you for your time xxx
I'm the ghost of a girl that I want to be most, I'm the shell of a girl that I used to know well.
Butterfly8588
UKFM Member

Re: TENS

Postby Baby-Hedgehog » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:53 pm

Does it have different 'style' settings - not just high to low, but pulse or constant, etc?

I can just about tolerate mine on constant, and low - the pulse setting is just too painful

They don't make the pain go away - but they distract it - as soon as you switch it off the pain comes back (or at least it does for me) - but it means that I can get through meetings without dosing myself up with meds that send me to sleep :)

Hope you get it sorted xx
Baby-Hedgehog
UKFM Member

Postby Butterfly8588 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:59 pm

Hi hedgehog,
Thank you for replying so quickly. I've tried all settings, A is the most gentle and is the only one I can stand for longer then a few seconds but I can feel my back getting tighter and tighter and afterwards I feel awful.
I'm glad you said about it only distracting you cos that's what I found.

Take care xx
I'm the ghost of a girl that I want to be most, I'm the shell of a girl that I used to know well.
Butterfly8588
UKFM Member

Postby helen virgo » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:55 pm

I've also found TENS to be less than helpful as always irritating me so have given mine away. But the fibro friend I gave it to now swears by it and uses it daily. We are all so different.
Helen x

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia
helen virgo
UKFM Member

Postby tabithakat64 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:17 pm

I have a tens machine, when turned up full so its painful it will actually provide some relief after to the nagging stiff restless pain I get in my legs
tabithakat64
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia