ssp and esa

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ssp and esa

Postby lsullivan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:50 pm

Hi. Am on week 20 of statutory sick pain for osteoarthritis and have recently been diagnosed with fibro after suffering for 3 years.

Am wondering if anyone can advise me on when I can apply for esa and how I go about it.

Thank you x
lsullivan
UKFM Newbie

Re: ssp and esa

Postby clairbear » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:12 am

Hi,
So sorry to hear you've been going through a tough time.
Is your SSP currently being topped up by your employer?

The biggest problem with the SSP & ESA debate is whether to stay in employment or not.

The waiting days for ESA assessment mean you will be on the basic rate of ESA until Week 13 of your claim & as I recall this is less than SSP for a full time employee.
I was dismissed on ill health grounds so didn't have much choice but to claim and it was about £15 a week less than my SSP (I'm sure it was £87 a week - my ESA was £72.40)

If you have to remain off work for the foreseeable future I'd have a chat with HR at your work & also a benefits adviser at CAB or Welfare rights.

Because of the DDA regulations your Employer has to make adjustments to help you in work, so if you haven't ventured down that road I'd do that first. Again CAB and Welfare rights might be able to help with this also.

There are a lot of factors of being on ESA - income based & contribution based have different criteria so you need to ensure if you're leaving work to get the best advice on which is right for your circumstances.

You are able and the benefits and work websites are good for gaining information, also if you check in the UKFibro main page their benefit links may help.

Let us know how you get on xx
clairbear
UKFM Member

Re: ssp and esa

Postby lsullivan » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:41 am

Hi clairbear

Thank you for your prompt reply. I am getting ssp through my employer for oa and have discovered that as my fibro is getting worse I won't be able to return to work. I am currently claiming pip for oa and am getting the standard rate for daily component.

Just wondering when I need to get in touch with dwp about claiming for esa?

Thanks
lsullivan
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia