Bone scan

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Bone scan

Postby Jasminetokyo » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:29 pm

Hello! Been lurking for a few months, but this is my first post.
After years of going back and forth from doctors surgeries to hospitals, therapists, everything really, I'm very near to being diagnosed with fibro. After my sarcastic and not very understanding rheumatologist retired, I got a shiny new one who actually listened to me and wants to help me feel better.
In order for her to rule out everything else my everywhere aches could be, I am having a full body bone scan on Monday with an injected radioactive tracer. She assures me this is just to make sure it's definitely not something like arthritis (I've had MRIs in the past but nothing bone related)
As you'd imagine, I'm bloody terrified. I don't like needles, or enclosed spaces, or hospitals for that matter. Has anyone else had one of these nuclear bone scans that could make me feel any more comfortable about being 'slightly radioactive' for the day?

Cheers.
Jasminetokyo
UKFM Newbie

Re: Bone scan

Postby LesleyD » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:29 pm

Hi, I've had something similar. Last year I had a suspected blood clot and had to get a scan. They injected a dye into my body via a "Cannular" (not sure if this is the right word) in my wrist. Then I was put through a scan: it was not a tunnel like they use in MRI's it just looked like a big ring! Wasn't bad at all and I don't like needles either. In fact getting the Cannular was the worst bit. Hope it goes ok for you. xx
LesleyD
UKFM Member

Postby Happy Girl » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:41 pm

I had to have one of these too. I don't like needles, hospitals etc but I looked on it as the route to finding what was wrong rather than something to be frightened of, admittedly is not pleasant but not as bad as not knowing what the problem is. Wishing you all the best, chin up and look forward.
Determined to be happy
Happy Girl
UKFM Member

Postby Jeany » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:10 am

I have just had a bone scan wit no dyes or injections, and was told I have Osteopenia. I am waiting for my GP to explain what exactly can be done to slow down my bones deteriorating and of this could e contributing t my pain.

I am already on 3000 mg of calcium a day, as the Omprozole I take for acid reflux/ulcers is draining my body of calcium, but my GP says I need to carry on with the Omprozole or my lfe will be t risk from internal bleeding.

A catch 22 situation really.

Pease let us all know how you goon and perhaps ask your GP to prescribe a sedative so you are calmer for your scan.
Jeany
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia