Do I REALLY have Fibromyalgia?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Do I REALLY have Fibromyalgia?

Postby p12197794 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:18 am

Hi all. I've been through a turbulent past 2 months or so. I'm just 21 years old but on a night at roughly the end of August, I had a sharp pain in my chest and this made me have a major anxiety attack - first time i've ever experienced one. Anyway, the next few days I was not ok, had pains in my chest, back, arms, ribs etc. I went to the GP, had an ECG all clear, blood pressure all clear also. She said it was likely a viral infection or a pulled muscle. Gave me no medication nor nothing.

The symptoms didn't ease, so a week later I made another appointment. Different doctor this time, he pressed on my chest and I said it was very tender and sore when he done so. He immediately said it must be chest wall pain then, suggesting it was inflammation, Prescribed me with naproxen - which did help a little bit. 4 weeks pass and I then go back to university, my prescription had run out and I wanted another GP's view, as I wasn't satisfied based on one ECG and one blood pressure reading that they were certain. Got my blood pressure taken again and he said he was in agreement, it must be a pulled muscle. Prescribed me diclofenac and sent me on my way.

Those pills were powerful and I stopped taking due to them messing with my stomach (indigestion etc). Fast forward another 2-3 weeks and I started experiencing this fluttering feeling in my chest, as if my heart was kick starting. Weird feeling that I find it difficult to describe. I got this quite regularly, up to 10 times a day and it really scared me. I made another appointment with the doctor, again, different one. He suspected it may be thyroid related and sent me for another ECG and to have bloods taken. Got my results back yesterday that everything was normal.

So now i've been left kinda in the middle of the road. No diagnosis and not really anything to go on. I came across the Fibromyalgia chart and upon checking, I have 8+ tender points on the chart, along with more on my chest and rib area. This whole thing is making me really anxious and add that to the fact that I have not had one good night sleep for the past month. I wake up AT LEAST once every night, during the night. And i'm then awake from like 8 in the morning, can't get back to sleep.

What should I do next? I don't want to seem like a pest and go back to the doctors again, but this is worrying me. I feel the anxiety will maybe leave once I know what I have. It's a bit of fear of the unknown at the moment. Do my symptoms sound like possible fibromyalgia? I smoked for three years but quit since this whole escapade started.

Sorry for the long post.
p12197794
UKFM Newbie

Re: Do I REALLY have Fibromyalgia?

Postby Emilybossy » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:04 pm

Hi. I'm Emily. 20. In the same limbo as you! I believe 100% I have fibro, I have chistochondritis pains every day, Google this as its what you're experiencing. Mine are sharp stabbing pains where I can't breathe deeply. I also have many aches and pains around my body that can't be contributed to anything else. All my joints crack continuously throughout the day. Have very bad fatigue some days it feels like I'm in a trance all day. I also get an ache that travels around my body for hours at a time. And past couple of days my eye hasn't stopped twitching. I've had ecg, blood pressure and bloods done. All normal. Doctor said at first I was too young for fibro but last visit he prescribed naproxen. I only take it when really needed. But I'm going to go back and try to get something for fatigue. I hope you get somewhere with your doctors. Don't worry about being a pest they are paid to look after us!! Emily xx
Emilybossy
UKFM Member

Re: Do I REALLY have Fibromyalgia?

Postby AlisonL » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:44 pm

Go back to doctor. Explain about the tender points. Ask for a referral to a rheumotologist. Do it SOON! Sounds like it could well be fibro but there are a couple of other things it might be, needs to be checked out by an expert. Good luck!
(oh, and also ask for a printout of all your previous pain related visits with dates, so you have the medical history to show the consultant when you see them)
AlisonL
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia