Working daily with Fibro

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Working daily with Fibro

Postby thejudge » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:51 pm

Hi guys and girls,

I haven't posted in awhile, been battling with fibro and work. I'm lucky enough now to have got a new job. My employer has been amazing over this. I told him on my first day as there was no place during the interview or paperwork to put down the condition. To which he said, "I don't need to know the details mate, just take your time and let me know if you need anything" Just hearing this has been a weight off my shoulders. My employer is amazing, i'm doing 20% of the job is used to (excessive work load) and getting paid more, which is nice.

My question really is, I'm finding it hard to keep going everyday, just getting to work is a struggle, then making it through the day not letting people see i'm in pain. Hiding the amount of tablets I have to take to function. I'm lucky i'm in a relaxed environment but how does everyone else who works with this manage to keep going, what point do you say enough........

I can't let anyone see me struggle, that's why i hide and ask questions here......
thejudge
UKFM Newbie

Re: Working daily with Fibro

Postby SVG » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:41 pm

Congratulations on the new job!!
I'm in full time work, in the London finance sector. It's hard combining this with Fibro!! I had a virus last month that laid me out for 2 weeks. I've come back to a strange environment where people are acting differently towards me.
It's extremely hard to manage work and any chronic condition. I've just got in touch with a mentoring programme for people with disabilities. I'm hoping they can provide the support I need.
I find the main problem with working is a lack of people in the same boat that you know and can talk to. I hope you can find someone to encourage and support you.
SVG
UKFM Newbie

Postby lin43 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:21 pm

I feel for you...I really do! I haven't worked for awhile but looking for work. It scares me to death as I know how I struggle everyday with pain but I need to earn. It's an absolute nightmare trying to live life with fibro.
lin43
UKFM Newbie

Postby jargirls » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:47 pm

I work daily and I've told my employer and luckily they have family with invisible illnesses. I constantly try and hide it and only ask to take time out when really bad and I go for a break. Luckily I usually look a mess then too and I'm told to take a break. I just keep going and going. I have no home life my children dont get their mum in the evenings and weekends are for resting.
jargirls
UKFM Newbie

Postby Sarahjbass » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:38 pm

I work with amazing supportive colleagues but I had to go on the sick when my medication began to cause me impaired cognitive function. I've been off work for about 2 months now trying to get myself work ready, which is taking longer than I expected
You have to think long and hard about your quality of life and are you giving your best? If not maybe you need just a few weeks to rest and get some sort of plan in place, whether it be gentle exercise or catching up with chores, to help get yourself back
On track..... Good luck xx
Sarahjbass
UKFM Newbie

Postby Pharaoh66 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:07 pm

I work 4 days a week. I have other medical conditions so it's hard to work out, if I'm ill, which causes me more problems.

I've used up my allocation of sick leave and the system in use where I work is so confusing that you are never quite sure when you can afford to be ill again so, even if I don't feel like it, I drag myself to my desk.
Unfortunately I really dislike my job so there's no added distraction to get me through the day. It's just one long grind and, when you feel pretty dire to begin with you need something to take your mind off things.

I find four days is my limit though. Once Thursday evening comes I'm completely worn out and it takes me the next three days to recover to start again.
Pharaoh66
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia