Rheumy visit.....

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Rheumy visit.....

Postby violet63 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:20 pm

A this stage I'm considered to be a 'probable' FM sufferer - as defined by the ME clinic as pain is my enduring issue. So I have been re referred to the rheumatology clininc..... but what I wanted to ask was when you had your appointments did you come off or reduce your meds so that they could clearly see your pain? I only ask because I have found a (and I use the term very loosely) 'tolerable' pain management regime but I'm worried that if I go to the apt 'too well or presenting with less pain' that I won't be believed :-( And at that point I think I would go shoot myself!!

What did you all do?
violet63
UKFM Newbie

Re: Rheumy visit.....

Postby Garyl » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:36 pm

When i saw the Doctor at rheumatology clininc he was visibily upset by having to tell me i had Fibro, all he could do was apologise continually and say there is no cure just pain management. So i would say go and show your pain at it's worst.

Recently in hospital for a different reason one of the doctors touched my hand to get to wrist for my pulse i nearly hit the ceiling, she asked what was wrong i said is my Fibro and she said i have not covered that yet a lot of doctors say it is all in the head, i said i would willingly swap my fibro for their pain free life, the young doctor said could she come back after rounds and find out more so i agreed,

So make sure the Rheumy doctor accepts Fibro as rel and genuine. i have suffered for at east 12 years now and am on a cocktail of pain relief.

Hopoe they can help you and sort it so you can cope like they have me
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby Gadef » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:53 pm

I am still waiting for an appointment to see a rheumatologist, from the beginning of when my doctor referred me. I try to manage mine, and am on amitryptiline, prednisolone, naproxen, and cocodamol at times or ibuprophen. I do still get flare ups, and am in one at the moment. If I had to stop the meds, in order to show my real problems I think I would be very upset, as the tabs take a while to kick in.
Gadef
UKFM Newbie

Postby violet63 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:46 pm

Well I had a particularly bad day last week and work could see I was struggling - ironically I work in a hospital but didn't think to ask for a cancellation. A colleague talked me into it and I was being seen by a Consultant by 11am! I'm on Fluoxetine, Naproxen and Gabapentin and although it probably hid some symptoms he confirmed it was FMS, but he has booked me in for a MRI to make sure nothing is pressurising my brain (nice)... but it seems I'm now a fully fledged member of the club :-(
violet63
UKFM Newbie

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:10 pm

Welcome to the club! It's great that he is sending you for an MRI - that's really thorough. It sounds like you are in good hands. My first rheumatologist sent me for a bone density scan but not an MRI.

I hope you have a lovely evening :)
Claire
x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia