S.A.D and FM?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

S.A.D and FM?

Postby skyvan » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:50 pm

Morning all. I'm sure this question has been asked before,but I can't seem to find a reference,so here goes. Was at the doctors this morning to get my Amitrip. strength upped and she mentioned the use of a sun light lamp because,apparently,there is a link between SAD and FM ( seratonin levels ). Is that spelt right?
I was wondering if anyone has heard of this treatment or tried it. Lamps don't come cheap and I didn't want to spend my money on something useless!The last few weeks I've felt rotten...aches worse,listless,shooting pains etc.and,right enough,the weather hasn't been exactly Tropical,so there could be something in it.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.Thanks.
I get knocked down,but I get up again....slowly and carefully!!
skyvan
UKFM Newbie

Re: S.A.D and FM?

Postby Treece » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:16 pm

Hi Skyvan,

I really do not know about lamps, I will be interested to see how others answer. However, I can confirm that I hurt so much more now its cold and it does get me down, I struggle to stay positive. I had linked the pain and sadness together not S.A.D.

Hope you get better responses than this :-D

Treece
Treece
UKFM Member

Postby sandiepandie » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:57 pm

I have to agree with Treece. I AM worse in the winter too because of the cold and how it affects my fm. I feel more depressed because of the constant pain I'm in through the winter months. With my muscles so sore, it feels like my bones are almost hurting too.

I've linked my winter blues to the extra pain I suffer. For that there is no quick fix. I try to keep as warm as possible and tend to have a soak in a hot bath every day to try and alleviate some of the pain.
sandiepandie
UKFM Member

Postby skyvan » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:14 pm

Yep,I agree with you both.I put the increased pain etc.down to the cold,so that's why what the doctor said sort of gave me pause for thought.I must admit that I'm a happier person 'under the sun ',but as to whether a lamp would help...??If I thought it would,I'd be ordering one asap.Would'nt we all? :idea:
skyvan
UKFM Newbie

Postby coletalbot » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:14 pm

I was expecting to feel worse this winter but I've kept my home temperature to above 22 degrees and started taking a lot of supplements and so far I feel great. I do feel pain if the temperature dips below 21 degrees though. Had to buy an indoor/outdoor thermometer so I could check the temperature as my own temp fluctuates so much.
The supplements I take are - Magnesium - Garlic - Vitamin D3 - Capsicum - Green Tea - Glucosamine Sulphate and Vitamin C - Ginger and Turmeric.
A few of them were recommended by people on FM forums and the others are just really good for you.
You need to take Magnesium in the evening and Vitamins in the Morning but that isn't hard.
I'm really starting to feel the benefit now, My knees don't hurt so much climbing stairs.
It could be mind over matter as my antidepressant levels are very good and I feel very positive most of the time now but I'm a real sun worshiper and I miss the warmer weather and longer days. I don't go out much.
I don't know if this will help anyone but I just thought I'd share.
coletalbot
UKFM Member

Postby aziriphale » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:33 pm

Hi

I don't know of any connection but i do have a S.A.D light and it really lifts my mood during the darker months, i got it because when my pain gets really bad I can't actually leave my flat at all so got the sunlight to come to me, I guess that better mood means less pain overall but I can't say for sure if it works that way but it does improve my depression
aziriphale
UKFM Member

Postby Susan Stokes » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:58 pm

I'm on my second SAD lamp now and I wouldn't be without it. My GP recommended it and if it is for health reasons you don't have to pay VAT. I start in October with mine and carry on well into Spring. I bought mine online but Boots do them as well.
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Postby skyvan » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:31 pm

Just finished reading a few on-line articles about this and there does seem to be a link between sad and F/M.Is the research on this funded my the manufacturers of light boxes?Wouldn't surprise me ;-)) I just don't know. If it hadn't been suggested by my doc.(the first one to actually take an interest in my problems),I wouldn't give it airtime,but now...? I would love it to be true but i'm scared of another disappointment.
skyvan
UKFM Newbie

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:23 pm

I've heard of the link between SAD and FM too and I've thought about buying the lamp. I've ordered a 'daylight' bulb for my kitchen to take better photos for my blog but I'm hoping that it will lift my mood too :) Fingers crossed! x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia