The dreaded *exercise* - or not

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

The dreaded *exercise* - or not

Postby SchroedingersCat » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:35 am

I'm just about to go into my fourth week at home, having quit my job mainly because I was bored rigid with it, and since my partner was promoted, we can afford for me to take some time out to finish the work that needs doing on the house we bought and moved into last year, but haven't found the time to really get the way we want it.

While I was working my interminable 2 months' notice period, I said to the other half that one of my goals was to get fit again, starting with working up to walking the dog to the local waterpark every day (this is about 1.5 miles away across open fields). I expected to be achieving this after a few weeks. What actually happened was, on day 2 I set off across the fields and continued past the point I'd managed on day 1, easily reached the park, and didn't suffer for it the next day. Since then, out of the days when I could have done this, I have managed around a 65% success rate - mainly due to other commitments rather than my body letting me down.

I have realised with some pleasure and surprise that my pain levels have dropped and my energy levels have risen. I've also been very active in the house and garden. The Fitbit my other half has given me (he now has a smartwatch with a pedometer app so he doesn't need the Fitbit any more) tells me I am easily achieving 15,000+ steps on the days the dog and I got to the waterpark. On active days when we don't quite make it there, I'm still managing my 10,000 target.

On Friday, I had to drive North for a funeral. It's just over 100 miles each way. I didn't even make the halfway mark for steps. Yesterday and today, I woke stiff and in more pain than I have for some time. It would appear that much of my pain, stiffness and fatigue can be alleviated by keeping moving, which I know is the advice many here have been given and questioned. I am doing far more now than I was a few weeks ago, when I was stuck at a desk for 7 hours a day, and I am feeling so much better, it's almost miraculous. It seems it is worth pushing through the pain to achieve this level of activity.

Disclaimer as always: I have always been pretty fit and active, have no other health conditions apart from FM, take no medication other than OTC painkillers (non-opiate), and am well within the healthy BMI range. I write this to encourage those who would like to try and move more but are put off by the pain. It is working for me, it might work for you.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Re: The dreaded *exercise* - or not

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:37 pm

When it comes to exercise and moving around, one thing that has been often said is that it is better to keep doing something, within the range that the individual can manage, rather than doing nothing at all. Even if it's just one rep of an exercise, that little bit extra can help both physically and mentally/emotionally because it's something extra that has been achieved.

Setting sensible and achievable aims/goals can be beneficial as well, esp when, as you found SC, you reach it considerably earlier/quicker than you thought you might do. That boost can spur you on even more, and the realisation that you are in better shape than you initially thought can make you feel quite pleased, even proud of yourself.

I find that if I'm still or sat for too long, then things start tightening up, so when I do move, it takes so much longer to do, and makes the little Lego heads on my pain scale shout and scream even more.

I've never been one for keeping still for long tho, even on a day when my entire body is screaming its loudest at me. I'll still be as active as I can be, within the range that I know I can manage, plus there are things which really can't be put off until another or better day, such as being walked by the doglet. My OH works shifts, so on the days when he is on duty, I'm the one who gets walked by her and throws the ball for her to chase and catch. On the days when the screaming body levels aren't quite as ear~bleeding, we have a longer walk, and on the days when it's all I can hear, then the walkings will be shorter ones.

I'm fortunate in a way tho, as my teenage mutant :alien: offspring is still at home, so on the not~so~quiet screaming days, I can get him to help with the other things that need doing.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby suenew » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:37 pm

I do Aqua fit and tia chi. I find they help me a lot. Think if I just sat about and did nothing I would be so stiff and sore. I really would recommend it X
suenew
UKFM Member

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:30 pm

I try to keep as active as I can. I don't actually exercise but I will take the stairs instead of a lift if I can, I teach standing up, walk to the bus stop - faster if I can and use the upstairs loo at work. I do what I can because if you don't use it you lose it! :) x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Postby marie marrison » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:46 pm

I have fibro for 4 years I used to have a very physical and stressful job I had to quit as well as driving then after all the medications I am taking my weight when from 7 stones to 14 so I decided to get a personal trainer and I am doing palette 3 times a week not only I feel better but I have also lost 2 stones in 9 months so therefore exercise within raison is very good for fibro sufferers :-P
marie marrison
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:48 am

Exercise for a fibro-baby is very individual, but doing nothing at all is the worse thing we can do.

Nearly four years ago I fell down a flight of stairs and although I didn't break anything I damaged ligaments and joints, and because of such I ended up in bed for the best part of a year. As the fall triggered a flare that has lasted until quite recently exercise as been very difficult.

However, it is not so much the pain, but the fatigue that has stopped me from exercising. I think we need to stop thinking 'exercise' and start thinking 'movement' and for some that may mean sitting up or getting up and going to the bathroom, but we start where we are and not where other people have managed to get to.

I sleep reasonably well most nights, and I put that down to meditation that i do without fail every night. I take minimal medication, which helps, but nothing helps the fatigue or maybe it should be called 'tired muscle syndrome' ;-) Not planning on giving in, but one step at a time.

And I cheer you all on to keep going. :welldone:
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:18 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, folks :)

Woke up very stiff and sore after a lazy weekend that followed on from Friday's forced inactivity. So of course, shortly after sunrise, me and the mongrel :dogrun1: went for a walk. :penguin: After that, I walked to the post office and back (and missed the Amazon delivery guy, but that's another story). Result: a wet dog who smells of fox poo, and the achievement of 11,444 steps before 10.30 a.m./breakfast/second coffee. Dog probably achieved more than double that as he covers the ground twice in places and has more legs.

I'm still stiff and sore, but at least I get to feel all smugly virtuous :D :bear-dancing:
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:14 pm

For the :dogrun1: smelling of fox poo, rub tomato ketchup into his coat, then rinse him off/give him a bath or shower. It will get rid of the foxy~poo smell. It doesn't matter if it's budget or branded ketchup, it all works as well as each other xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby SchroedingersCat » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:44 am

Thanks Flup, I'll be trying that. I used baby wipes on him the other day, he'd just stopped being stinky this morning, and he went and found another patch :nono: :pull-hair: , this time he rubbed his face in it so no kisses for him till he's been tomato ketchuped!!! :lol:
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:10 am

He sounds like a candidate for the Bog Monster Club with his love of rolling and rubbing in all things smelly and rancid xx

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:58 pm

Yup, adores mud and water as well, unfortunately not usually in that order
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Andyg10 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:46 pm

We have 3 dogs and I haven't been able to them for walks for a while. Have now started to take them out when my wife is home from work 3 times a week. Just a 10 minute walk. Started today. Got back and I'm aching head to toe, but really have no choice, the dogs need exercise as do I.
Andyg10
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia