Tens - A sceptic's view

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Tens - A sceptic's view

Postby Walrus » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:52 pm

I readily admit I was a total sceptic when it came to TENS machines. I read q few comments on the forum and still wasn't convinced. I had the opportunity to try one when my sister-in-law bought one for my brother-in-law and he wouldn't use it. I tried it and am now totally convinced. You couldn't get it away from me unless you killed me first :-) . I use it every day, some times more than once, for an hour at a time. I am posting this because it has made coping with my fibro so much easier and it might help some of you out there.
Walrus
UKFM Member

Re: Tens - A sceptic's view

Postby AlisonL » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:26 am

Anyone got more info - I get lost between different makes and models.
AlisonL
UKFM Member

Postby thoughtmatters » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:57 am

I bought a wireless one because it was on sale at my pharmacy - and I haven't looked back.
What I like the most is that I am the one in charge. Sometimes I turn it up quite high - but it's ME creating the sensation, not the fibro, if that makes sense. I feel more empowered. Plus it does reduce my overall pain for a while.
thoughtmatters
UKFM Member

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:25 am

I've been through 2 TENS machines, they don't seem to last. I've used them in the classroom when my pain is really bad - I'm a teacher who sometimes struggles. I need to get another one, hopefully this one will last x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Postby Butterfly8588 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:04 am

Hi everyone,
Sorry for hijacking a thread but I tried a TENs machine a while ago and I actually found it made my pain much worse and I couldn't stand the sensation, even on the lowest settings. Is this normal?

Take care xxx

P.S. thinking about it I may have posted this before so apologies if I have, but just in case I'll keep it here if thats ok xx
I'm the ghost of a girl that I want to be most, I'm the shell of a girl that I used to know well.
Butterfly8588
UKFM Member

Postby TheHud » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:05 pm

When I was in so much pain I could have chopped my own head off, or at least my left arm, pre pregabline, I used a tens extensively. It allowed me to administer pain I had control over. My doc said 'so its like banging your head against a wall, it diverts your attention to pain elsewhere ;) '. the problem I have involves actual nerve damage in my neck, unfortunately it made it worse in the long term. I now have spasms that cannot be controlled. Still sometimes use Tens to massage, but not divert and certainly nowhere near nerve centers, trigger points or tender points.

:)
TheHud
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia