Will I stay as I am or get worse?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Will I stay as I am or get worse?

Postby Two Cats » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:18 pm

Hi everyone,
Got just a fibro diagnosis after around 10 years of aches and pains and tiredness - which was always put down to something else!
I realise that there isn't a "one size fits all answer", but I'm wondering if whether having felt about the same for the last couple of years whether I'm going to stay feeling that at about that level or whether this is something that, whatever I do, is gradually going to get worse?
Thank you!
Two Cats
UKFM Newbie

Re: Will I stay as I am or get worse?

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:02 pm

Hello :)

I've been told that fibromyalgia is not progressive but since my diagnosis earlier this year I've definitely got worse. I have good days and bad days, depending on the weather, stress or my level of tiredness. I try to keep positive and not give in to this illness but I do worry about how long I can keep working. Everybody is different, some people are better than me and some are worse. We are all different - our bodies work in different ways and react differently to Fibromyalgia. Each individual has come to the diagnosis through a different path and there are so many different symptoms that some people experience and others don't to the same extent - they just vary in intensity from person to person.

Keep smiling :)
Claire
x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Postby lizashfield » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:08 pm

Like Claire, I have got worse since I was diagnosed about 14 months ago. The Rheumatologist said the good news was that it wasn't life-threatening or progressive but the bad news was that it was horrible and I would have it for life.
I have heard from lots of other sufferers and most feel like me in that I am getting worse. I think partly for me was that up until diagnosis I fought hard against my aches and pains and tried to carry on as normal. After diagnosis I let it become more a part of my life and have had to try and pace myself better.
I think my pain is a lot worse now than it was a year ago.
I think it is important to try and control your pain from now onwards: by pacing yourself, by medication, by diet, by exercise and by relaxation. I can talk the talk but not necessarily walk the walk!
Good luck with it all.
lizashfield
UKFM Member

Postby AlisonL » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:01 pm

You can do loads to moderate your symptoms. The advice above sums it up well. So yes, you can get better (not well, but better). Other forums have people who claim various treatments made massive changes. Frankly, some of these sound like hokum, but whatever works for you. That said, I had a big bad step change recently but there is also considerable stress in my personal life so I am waiting to see if I gradually get back to where I was when things calm down a little. Good luck and keep fighting gently!
AlisonL
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:19 pm

Just wanted to throw my two cents in...

I was diagnosed at 35ish....I managed to maintain pretty well for about 5 years, but then my divorce made it a billion times worse. I held down my job until I moved from the states back to England, and have had ups and downs since.

I have slowly become worse though. The non-progressive part I am not fully convinced of, unless I am just not as well equipped to deal with the downs as I used to be because of years under my belt. I have many more days that require bed rest. I have many more days where the pain interferes with my life, I have many more days where I have to use my cane/s to walk, I have many more days where the fatigue is so overwhelming, I have to push through it just to get the basics done. I also am a full time carer for my daughter, so this alone is tiring. I might be a bad example, but I have found that I have more and more symptoms, or conditions that go hand in hand with fibro, then I did before.

I was also poisoned by my doctor with a mix up of medications, and since then I have dramatically changed, but prior to that, I know that I was going down hill. Push for pain management, and CFS treatment. Both will teach you about pacing and learning to work around the illness. The best you can do is deal with each day as it happens, because there will be no two days alike.

Good luck and keep your chin up, these guys are the best and will always send an encouraging word.

xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia