So Confused - Flare Up?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

So Confused - Flare Up?

Postby Padster » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:08 pm

Hi All

Having a bad day (bad 11 days actually) so need some help and understanding!

I'm so confused by this crazy condition. Almost wish I hadn't been diagnosed and still thought that I was just having weird random pains. Psychologically I think I dealt with it much better that way!

Normally my symptoms are relatively mild compared to a lot of you on here. But 11 days ago my lower back suddenly went from its normal 2-3 out of 10 pain rating to a 7-8 out of 10. No idea why, it just did. My other symptoms are pretty much the same. It improved a bit to around a 5 out of 10 but is edging up again with peaks at 8 depending on what I'm doing.

My question is, is this a Flare Up or have I just "done my back in" - unrelated to Fibro? I'm still pretty new to this and am not aware that I've had a flare up before. Are flare ups normally ALL symptoms are much worse or can it be just one or two symptoms? I'm not experiencing any fibro fog at the moment. Sleep is rubbish and I have a constant pain in my left wrist with random pulsing pains in knees, elbows, feet, but other than that, nothing significant.

I came off amitriptyline a couple of months ago, because I didn't get any relief from it and am just taking prescription co-codamol together with ibuprofen when needed (which is more than I am comfortable with at the moment and it only takes the edge off).

So fed up. Have a huge list of things I was finally going to get done over the Christmas break, but have achieved virtually nothing so far except managing to walk the dogs each day.

I also have a cold that's nearly 2 weeks in!!! :(

Sorry for the moan, I don't normally feel sorry for myself, but just had enough and I know you will understand!
In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog
Padster
UKFM Member

Re: So Confused - Flare Up?

Postby aziriphale » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:03 pm

sounds like a flare up to me, I only started having them a couple of years ago and its usually just back and sciatica type pain for me

but there is also the chance you may of done your back in so get to a doctor's and get checked out
aziriphale
UKFM Member

Postby AlisonL » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:46 am

Perfectly possible to have a bad back and a flare up. Need to treat both. When one has an injury such as a back trauma, the site gets inflamed. If you are fibromyalgic, then this inflammation can trigger a flare up.
Happened to me on Christmas day when I wore a pair of tights that set off my latex allergy. The hives I got from that were only on my thighs and buttocks and have subsided. BUT it set off a flare up which I am still struggling with. I used bicarb poultices and steroid cream on the hives. I am using a completely different range of strategies to deal with the flare up - mostly painkillers and rest and being really strict about avoiding other possible triggers (such as foods I know inflame me).
So my advice would be to get the back sorted - whatever works for you, chiropractor, acupuncture, patches, painkillers, while also dealing with the fibro flare up in parallel.
Hope this helps and that are feeling better soon
AlisonL
UKFM Member

Postby Padster » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:14 pm

Thanks both. Now 2 weeks of the back pain and no relief! Chances of seeing my doctor tomorrow are worse than minimal, but I have a massage booked for Friday so hopefully that will help, then I have my scheduled docs appointment on following Wednesday so hopefully I can last that long.

Thanks for your help x
In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog
Padster
UKFM Member

Postby sunflower » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:52 pm

Hi
Your symptoms sound so similar to mine, after seeing gp, xrays physio etc it has been confirmed that I probably aggrivated back by walking up hill which caused inflammation and now turned to a flare up. I am four months into this now which is the worst i have ever had and had dragged me down terribly. I am hypersensitive to drugs so GP struggled. The best things i can suggest is tens machine, plenty of heat and cold patches, and sensible gentle movement with lot of rest but try to not be in one position for long periods. unfortunately pushed myself which i think is why its lasted. Hope this helps x
sunflower
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia