New symptoms causing anxiety

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

New symptoms causing anxiety

Postby Mrshank83 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:45 pm

I've had fibromyalgia for 6 years but only diagnosed in 2011. Am currently awaiting rheumatology appointment although can expect to wait 20 weeks since referral last month :(
It's hit me like a tonne of bricks today to say the least. I'm experiencing severe back pain moving around my ribs and my sides but also experiencing tenderness in the bottom of my sternum, think it's called xiphoid process? This pain is new to me so is causing me some anxiety, but just wanted to hear of any ones experience with this? I do have a doc appointment Monday for an unrelated matter but will be mentioning this. It's 5.45 and I'm in bed already, it's just awful :(
Thanks for reading xx
Mrshank83
UKFM Member

Re: New symptoms causing anxiety

Postby Dee53 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:18 pm

Hi This could be the symptoms of Costochondritis which is very painful around the chest and rib area which can be eased with anti inflammatories I hope this helps.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Tietzes-sy ... ction.aspx
Dee53
UKFM Newbie

Postby AlisonL » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:16 pm

Yes I have the same pain. Diagnosis has varied from arthritic sternum to "painful rib syndrome" to "well, you have fibromyalgia " I have ended up in A&E a few times over the years -thinking I was having a heart attack. Doctors there always sympathetic and assured me I was doing exactly the right thing by going in to get checked out. Without wishing to be indelicate, I find the most trying aspect is the immense pain in my ribs when I am having a poo!
When you eventually see the rheumatologist ask for a referral to a pain clinic.
AlisonL
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:36 pm

For anything that is causing worry/anxiety, having it checked out is always the best thing to do. Whilst it may be related to FM, there is always a possibility that it could be due to something completely unrelated too xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Mrshank83 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:57 pm

Thanks everyone, good to know I'm not alone in this. Totally agree though, I will try and get in the doctors tomorrow to get it checked out, that's part of the battle with this horrible illness, knowing not to always assume it's just the fibro. Need some peace of mind for sure. Big hugs everyone xx
Mrshank83
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia