shock

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

shock

Postby Butterfly8588 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:03 am

Hi everyone,

I had quite a shock today, I was driving along at just under 40mph when this elderly lady just stepped out in the road in front of me without any warning or even looking! I jumped on the breaks straight away and I just don't know how I missed her, I honestly don't think you could have walked between her body and the bonnet of my car it was that close. I think it was only that I had noticed her and had half an eye on her anyway that I stopped in time.
The shock caused me to tense all my muscles (as well as stamping on the breaks) and now I'm in awful pain. Admittedly it wasnt great to start with but its definitely worse now. I just keep thinking what if I hadn't seen her? I'd have killed her and She was completely oblivious to the danger she was in.
Sorry for posting what I guess is a pretty useless bit of info but I guess I just needed to share it with someone, only you will understand how these things affect us.

Gentle hugs xxx
I'm the ghost of a girl that I want to be most, I'm the shell of a girl that I used to know well.
Butterfly8588
UKFM Member

Re: shock

Postby AlisonL » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:53 am

Hi Butterfly, sounds like it was definitely more traumatic for you than her.
This is not a useless bit of information at all, but a good reminder to us all that our bodies overreact in situations like this. I guess my advice to myself would be: if you are driving and getting tense for any reason stop as soon as possible, carefully do some gentle stretches (or even imaginary stretches), maybe find somewhere to have a cuppa, run a quick mindfulness exercise, anything to try and rebalance the stress chemicals flooding your brain and muscles.
If you are at/ near home and you get a shock or become very tense for some reason, head for a hot bath and bed.
Finally, does anyone else find minor medical procedures such as colonoscopy or even a dental visit puts them into mild shock? I find I have to plan a very easy rest of the day afterwards.
Hope you are feeling better now, Butterfly, gentle hugs
AlisonL
UKFM Member

Postby Mouse » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:10 am

Butterfly, something like that is the equivalent of a whiplash injury because your muscles have tensed so violently. You will probably feel the effects for a few days. The main thing is that you were on the ball when driving and missed the pedestrian, so well done you!
Alison1, I had to have a tooth out under sedation recently as I am terrified of the dentist. I wound myself up for days before the procedure and was so tense by the time I went I was walking like I had an ironing board stuck on my back! Took a week before the pain released a bit afterwards. I'm now on Gabapentin so hoping any trauma or shock won't be quite as painful!
Mouse
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:45 pm

Hope things are a little calmer for you today Butterfly xx Something like that zaps you sharply when you're in the best of shape, having it happen with FM in the mix tho can turn things up all the way to 11!!!

Thankfully, both you and the little old lady are OK xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Butterfly8588 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:34 am

Thank you to everyone who replied, it's always so lovely to be able to post here, it brings me a lot of comfort and support so thank you for listening to me and offering advice.
I've managed to try to put the incident to the back of my mind now, there's no point dwelling on it I suppose. We both walked away unharmed and that's the main thing!

Thanks again for your support xxx
I'm the ghost of a girl that I want to be most, I'm the shell of a girl that I used to know well.
Butterfly8588
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia