Possibly found the perfect exercise

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Possibly found the perfect exercise

Postby velvet » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:23 pm

We all know that fibro varies widely and at its worst means exercise is impossible while even at its least exercise can be a problem. I am about middle on the scale and have been seeking an effective way I can get some exercise for oooo just the whole time lol.

Walking is my default exercise but it is far from perfect - when it is cold (pain will be much worse) raining (taking the camera which is a big motivation is difficult cause its not waterproof) and involves driving the car ten minutes there and ten minutes back (walking from home isnt brilliant) it is very difficult to make sure I do something every day especially on those days when I have no energy anyway.

My lodger got a cross trainer cycle type thing which I can use but I found it hard going - I was sure getting some exercise but it was unpleasant both during and after and there was no way I could do it when having a bad day, plus it was all effort and no fun. I also for a brief while had a push bike and working on very low targets (Fibro the condition where you measure achievements in hundred meter increments :roll: ) was OK but had all the issues of walking combined with the difficulty in taking it away from home - then my son had to borrow it and it did not survive.

Well this new year (yep that time of year folks) I have picked myself up a machine called an "air walker" and I really think I have cracked it. It is ultra variable - you can use it for tiny movements that you dont feel at all, less that walking because there is no impact you are sliding your feet, so on a bad day it is still possible to do 10 minutes. I have found doing the small movements loosens me up and I can do bigger ones without really trying it sort of happens naturally. On better or even the rare wonder days you can exaggerate the movements, add resistance with your arms, go much faster or even get into weird almost horizontal things (I know they are possible because my kids have tried them - I have not lol). With music on it is almost fun - it is definitely not unpleasant. It is also easier than expected - I know I have been doing something through raised heart and breathing but pain/discomfort is minimal and dont hang around when I have finished.

I started off doing 10 minutes break 10 minutes and have managed to get up to 30 minutes without a break most days but finishing the 30 minutes even with a break (my baseline for exercise is walking 1 mile in 1 hour). I am definitely seeing some sort of physical improvement because to start with I could not keep my arms out in front on the handles but spent most of the time with them holding the bar at waist height and I can now keep them on the handles for 30 minutes. My general pain has not increased, daily pain level improves slightly afterwards I suspect because it is very like gentle stretching, its easy to push a little when feeling you can but back right off and not over do it (which is my usual curse - I throw myself into something and end up in bed again) so I think I have cracked it. If anyone is looking for something in the exercise line I reckon give an air walker a try because it is really working for me and it would be great if worked for others.

velvet
UKFM Regular

Re: Possibly found the perfect exercise

Postby Anuib6 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:43 pm

I found a treadmill no good as I have back problems & Arthritus hard to do. Now I have a cross trainer with a seat, I can do that easy also I like to dance! By myself in my kitchen with my music loud" no neighbours " within ear reach.
I'm afraid if I used your air walker I would end up with Vertigo. With our cross trainer it's so easy cycle or walk sitting down if I get too tired. The treadmill kills me, mind either way have to rest up" wonder why I hurt so much" afterwards but now my heart rate & blood pressure are fandabydosy.
Anuib6
UKFM Member

Re: Possibly found the perfect exercise

Postby velvet » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:17 pm

I did get dizzy the first couple of times but I adjusted quite quickly. I get back pain sitting on cross trainers or even ordinary saddles. I am making a concerted effort to loose some weight (OK a lot of weight) - I am lucky that I have blood pressure and cholesterol that seems to stay low even when I am overweight (my doctor gave up nagging me about weight a few years back when he looked at my blood results - according to my blood I am an athlete in my early 20s lol) but I cannot take that for granted. Touch wood I am in a "good" phase at the moment with half decent energy levels but we all know how quick that can change.
velvet
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia