learning new crafts

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

learning new crafts

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:10 pm

Happy Friday :)

This year I've decided to try new crafts - I'm blogging about it on my Fibromyalgia blog:
http://clairescomfycorner.com/2016/01/2 ... ption-box/

I've not made anything crafty since leaving primary school so these new crafts really are going to challenge me!

Trying to keep positive despite the pain and fatigue :)
Claire
xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Re: learning new crafts

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:50 pm

I've tried doing so many different things over the years, with varying degrees of success, but my logical side completely flattened and traces of creativity that I might have possibly had. That was until around 19 months ago, and with the Sewing Bee and various other programmes about upcycling/repurposing clothes and other textiles/fabrics being on tv, it set me off thinking about the things I used to make for my dolls when I was little while my nan was sewing away, making dresses for me, so I decided to have a go and see how things turned out.

I picked up a mini sewing machine, a few patterns, a bit of fabric and the other bits and pieces I needed to start making something, and off I went. All the stuff I'd learned when I was little came flooding back and after a few hiccups, I'd cobbled together a fairly wearable tea~style dress. After wearing it to an evening wedding bash and getting lots of lovely comments about it, my sewing bee was well and truly buzzing, and off I went.

I've made a few things since then, as well as discovering a love of vintage fabrics, vintage/retro~inspired and true~vintage patterns which I now love to collect, and plan to make at some point along the way. I've progressed from my original mini~machine to a proper big~girl one and my aim now is to try and have as much of my wardrobe "me~made" as I possibly can.

As I've been looking for sewing patterns, I've come across a lot of vintage crochet patterns, so I'm now thinking about learning to crochet so I can add something else to my wardrobe, and to my skills/abilities. I'm also looking into how to sew different types of fabric, the first of which is oilcloth which I want to use for a waterproofish coat.
Attachments
Tartan Prima 2(1).JPG
One of my makes xx
Tartan Prima 2(1).JPG (288.56 KiB) Viewed 2241 times
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:40 pm

Wow! That is a fantastic talent to have :) My mum used to make our dresses when we were young. Today I signed up for a 2 hour beginners knitting workshop - groupon bargain! It's given me something to look forward to next month. There is a sewing workshop on groupon too, that could be an option for another time. I'm new to crafting and hoping to try different crafts to keep me occupied and distract me from the pain.

:)
xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:51 pm

It started off as being a bit of distraction therapy for me, but it has become more as it's something I can do that is just for me as usually, whatever I do ends up being interfered with by my OH and son.

The knitting workshop could be good fun. I can knit, or maybe that should be I know the theories behind knitting, but when it comes to putting them into practice, it all goes completely wrong as no matter what I do, my tension doesn't work out at all. The last thing I knitted was a cardigan for my son for when he was born. I made the smallest size for him, but it came out far too big for him, finally fitting him when he was around 9 months old.

Hopefully you'll be much more successful at it and come out with something beautifully made xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:17 am

Even if I don't I will have fun trying and I can practise at home :) xx
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Postby galio » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:43 am

I have just started knitting again after many years, and I was am still a sporadic knitter, my Niece is due her baby in may so I have decided to do a blanket, well when I was at mums I have discovered she seems to have misplaced all my needles and patterns, luckily my son had one set of my needles and they are the size I need and a friend has sent me a copy of the blanket I was wanting to make. its made in small squares and then stitched together so I dont have to hold the weight of a whole blanket on the needles, unfortunately due to my Hypermobility syndrome Im not going to be able to do the one or two squares a day I had hoped to do, after 3 days and 3 squares I have ended up having to wear my thumb and wrist splints a loot of the time, and i just cant get a way with knitting with them on apart from the difficulty griping the needles the blasted wool keeps finding the odd bit of velcro that isnt covered! but i will get the blanket done in time unlike the one my son says i started for my cousin when she was pregnant with her daughter who is now 16, oops cant ever remember starting that one, but if you get the basics and fancy a blanket thats easy and looks great try to find the sirdar princess blanket pattern, you only need to know how to cast on do knit and purl stitches and how to put the yarn forward to add a stitch knit 2 together and how to cast off
ok when you write that down it sounds a lot but its not honest. took me 3 goes to get the first square going right as i kept managing to add too many then too few lol but only 63 lines to a square, obviously pen and ppner are very helpful due to the memory problems i cant remember what line im on and even remember the whole instructions for a line at one time so pattern is on my knee all the time too.
galio
UKFM Member

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:16 pm

It does sound a little difficult but I'm sure that I will learning the knitting lingo - I'm an absolute knitting virgin :) Do a little of the blanket each day and when it's finished you will feel a sense of accomplishment :) I admire your determination! Enjoy x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia