Thoughts and Advice please

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Thoughts and Advice please

Postby Butterfly8588 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:35 am

Hi everyone,

I've been having significantly more pain then normal for quite a bit now and I'm truly fed up with it to be honest. I've tried resting, I've tried carrying on as normally as possible and nothing is helping. With this in mind I thought that perhaps I need to change something and so I've decided to join an exercise class.

I've been in touch with the instructor and made sure she understands my problems and she was really lovely and she understands that I might not be able to do as much as everyone else. It's low impact and it's only for 50 minutes - ish once a week.
I'm both terrified and excited all at once and I'm not sure if I've done the right thing or not! Basically I suffer from awful fatigue as well as pain and I know this is going to increase both but at the same time I feel I have to try something different to shove myself out of this awful pain-fatigue loop I've fallen in to.

Am I doing the right thing?

Gentle hugs xx
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs clearer for easier reading xx
I'm the ghost of a girl that I want to be most, I'm the shell of a girl that I used to know well.
Butterfly8588
UKFM Member

Re: Thoughts and Advice please

Postby di doc » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:25 am

I suffer really bad with pain and visit my rheumatologist regularly
he has suggested that exercise should be taken at 20 minutes twice daily if you can manage it not 50 minutes once a week the muscles cant take that amount of exercise and you might find that the will go into spasm and cause you more problems so please to start off with take it slowly and then you could always build up if you feel it is going well
also if you can find it hydrotherapy is great
every body is different and you need to get to know how yours works with exercise and it is easier to add minutes on than to do too much and be in agony
hope this helps a little xxx
di doc
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:40 pm

A good number of us have found ourselves in a similar place to where you are at the moment Butterfly, so you are in good company. Also, some of us have found that being still/inactive for too long can actually make things feel far worse compared to when being active.

I think you have taken the right steps towards getting yourself out from where you currently are, and with you talking to the instructor about the class, your conditions, and what you feel you may/may not be able to manage, it sounds like you're just about ready to take that final step and start the class. When you do start it, for the first few sessions, it might be wise to work on an underestimate of what you think you can manage reps/time~wise, with the aim of very gradually increasing what you can do, how many times/how long you can do it for. Far, far better to start off with teeny~tiny steps and find that you are getting there quicker than you expected than setting mahoosive leaps and finding that it's too far for you to make it.

Recommendations/suggestions for the amount and frequency of exercise are there to guide you, but aren't permanently set in stone. What is important is that you are increasing the amount of activity you are doing, so whilst keeping them in mind is always helpful, what is more important is that what you are doing is the right amount and frequency for you.

When things are flaring up, I find that reducing my activity levels, but still making sure that I am doing something can help with getting thru it, even if it's just the bare essentials.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Mouse » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:24 pm

I tried many times over the years to up and up my exercise with running or gyms and every time I burnt myself out. Impact exercise is no good for my FM. I now walk every day as I have three dogs, if I'm feeling ok I do up to an hour, if I'm in a flare I do less, but never less than 30 minutes. It works for me, would walking suit you?
Mouse
UKFM Member

Postby divingforPearls » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:30 pm

Good for you for trying to get out there and do something! However, 50 minutes sounds like a lot to me. Build up slowly please! And rest if you need to rest! And watch out for the endorphin rush which makes you go past the point when you maybe should have stopped. Good luck with it, I hope it all goes well for you.
divingforPearls
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia