found a trigger

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

found a trigger

Postby galio » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:17 pm

well after having suspicions I withdrew the suspected item from my diet for a month and then tried it again and bang pain in legs and arms and that twitch feeling like there gonna start jumping, started with in 10 mins of trying it the culprit diet coke! Im thinking its the sweeteners in it, so seeing as i was sore any ways I have drank the last two cans in teh house and munched my dairy milk, a brilliant combination that is going to be missed! I had noticed over the last year or two that diet coke made me feel hungry and irritated my bladder, but it defiantly sets my pain off too, its not the only trigger but one I now know I can avoid, i shall go a few weeks with out again and try another drink or food with sweetener in it to confirm this is the culprit and not something else in the diet coke, but I think im on the right track, my son cant take any sweeteners as they make him violently sick within minuets of ingesting them, and its amazing where they crop up that you dont realise the they're there.
any one else found they have problems with this sort of thing? its not gonna help me lose weight if i cant replace sugar oops hey ho will have to find something else to cut down on then, on the plus side it wasnt the other suspect I couldnt have lived without my chocolate
galio
UKFM Member

Re: found a trigger

Postby lambsfarm13 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:22 am

Wow ,good on you for finding that. I think my trigger is going to work!
lambsfarm13
UKFM Newbie

Postby galio » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:52 pm

lambsfarm13 wrote:Wow ,good on you for finding that. I think my trigger is going to work!

thats also a big trigger, signed off again and now have to go to an attendance support meeting! may have to drop hours again, i want to keep working as long as i can, im waiting for pip forms if i can get some pip it will help alleviate the financial impact of me having to drop my hours and i wont feel so guilty. i have been nagged by nmoy sons disability adviser for over a year to go for pip and i have finaly given in, she will help me fillin al the forms, she is going to my sons appeal again this time round as he was moved from dla to pip and they downgraded his mobility so he has lost his motobility car hehas his appeal in a fortnight hopefuly she will tie then in knots again like when he had to appeal his dla award
galio
UKFM Member

Postby 2dartwork » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:12 pm

Yes I found coke makes my muscle spasms and pain worse, especially diet coke. I did find that evening pain in hands and feet became less when I cut down on the amount of diet coke I was drinking. I think part of it is the aspartame, but also I think the caffeine has an effect on my muscles *and* has a dehydrating effect on my body (it's a diuretic), so a double whammy. Unfortunately, now I'm on amitriptyline, I need caffeine to function in the mornings at all, so it's become a balancing act. I guess we all have to work out what our bodies can and can't tolerate.
2dartwork
UKFM Newbie

Postby galio » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:53 pm

ve drank caffien free coke for years and foind if i drank normal diet coke i got a caffine high as i dont drink tea or coffee im now down to water, but im my own worst enemy, when im sore any ways i will have a treat and have a can and a bar of chocolate, but im finding my pain is worse in an evening now and feel this flare is not done with me yet and getting worse. amytrip didnt agree with me had problems many years ago with ahigher dose for stress.depression and it caused my heart to go a bit wonky tried that and nortryptiline last year and same thing happend on the low dose so thats out for me im now back on lyrica ( pregabilin) I stopped all meds in nov after feeling sick for 2 months now back on the lyrica and building up my dose again see if i can tolerate it
galio
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia