degeneration/aging?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

degeneration/aging?

Postby divingforPearls » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I hope you are coping today,
I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed over the years that it takes longer to 'bounce back' after a flare as time goes on/ as you get older. I started with fibro at 25; I used to do more, and then be in excruciating pain, but then I'd get over that in about a week. I'm 42 now, and I've not actually bounced back fully from the last flare, which was over a year ago. 2 years ago, I was going for an hour walk in the woods about once a month, and swimming 60 lengths twice a week, rollerblading once a month. I must have just about done that woodland walk only twice this year, and can still only do less than 20 lengths at a time, and it's been a year of my husband having to take both kids to school. How come it's taking over a year to recover from the last flare? I'm not ready to have the metabolism of someone twice my age yet! Has anyone else noticed a degeneration to your fibro / longer flare ups over the years? Is this tail off a normal thing when you age, even for people without fibro? Maybe it is the built up fear of pain that stops me from doing more??? And that pain is certainly something to be wary of! I seem to have swapped -doing exercise every week and then not being able to walk for a few days, for - just about being able to walk around the house most of the time (pain level 4 or 5), but never really getting my heart rate going through proper exercise. I've swapped extreme exercise highs and pain lows (pain level 10) for mediocrity. I now say "not bad ...FOR SOMEONE WITH FIBROMYALGIA", but I worry that I'll never get back to the level of exercise I used to do 2 years ago. Any thoughts???
divingforPearls
UKFM Member

Re: degeneration/aging?

Postby g1ng3r2k6 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:07 pm

I was diagnosed in my late 20s but to be fair suffered from the symptoms since early teens. Flair ups would last for two to three years at a time , I found it was more of I kicked myself up ass and dragged myself to gym etc. And once my body adjusted I was fine.
Worst thing that happened was I started to feel real bad pain just rest my joints on the bench pads and forced me to quit.
During this time I was walking 4-6 mile most days with my dogs. That's not happening for quite sometime I find myself feeling out breath quite soon and dizzy.
Looking into symptoms most people will say it's mostly in your brain which would explain anxiety attacks.
The lack of sleep increases the pain. And makes for a vicious circle
g1ng3r2k6
UKFM Newbie

Postby dove55 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:33 pm

Yes definitely worse with age especially post menopause pain all the time no remission at all
dove55
UKFM Newbie

Postby scoke » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:22 am

I read, soon after i was diagnosed that the flares get closer together, longer-lived, more intense and more symptoms each time. It certainly seems like it. Now in my sixties, I've gradually had to give up all the stuff i used to do physically - first tennis, then tap dancing, then step, exercise with weights, pilates, badminton, swimming lengths, hiking, dancing and finally yoga. Some aren't only because of fatigue and pain - i cant grip racquets, can't cope with cold water or air, can't drive alone at night so some classes unavailable to me now - very frustrating. I do manage to walk 20 - 30 mins on days that aren't too cold and/or damp. I swim a few lengths when I'm abroad - but get tired much more quickly because I'm out of practice - afraid it really does get worse. Just do what you can when you can, stopping and then trying to start up again is much more difficult...
scoke
UKFM Member

Postby divingforPearls » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:23 pm

Oh, that's not good news. Drat. Anybody had a different experience? Anybody!!??
divingforPearls
UKFM Member

Postby galio » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:04 am

following this hoping for someone that has bucked the trend so far, I dont really wanna hear that its degenerative, Im in my early 50s and menapausal please say it will go away (says she burying her head deeper into the sand)
galio
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia