Define a 'flare'?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Define a 'flare'?

Postby SchroedingersCat » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:13 am

I've been hanging around on here for quite some time now, but I still don't quite get what constitutes a 'flare'. Me, I have normal days, good days, very good days, bad days, and really rubbish days. The really rubbish days usually coincide with my catching a virus of some description and being miserably ill with that, which on top of the fibro usually means a day or 2 in bed doing bog all. I also have 'bad weeks' - I've had a stomach ache since Xmas that has resulted in a succession of less than brilliant weeks (and yes, I have finally signed up with a local GP and am seeing them about this), but nothing that I would consider a 'flare'. In my head, I just don't get them, but maybe I'm misdefining them.

So what do YOU mean when you say you're suffering a 'flare'?
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Re: Define a 'flare'?

Postby thesse » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:15 pm

Hello,

I am being investigated for psoriatic arthritis and in my research I found this

http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/ ... eq455.full

Which is about Rhumatoid Arthritis but explains the different ways people measure and monitor flares in their condition.

I think everyone is a little different but it basically means a significant worsening of symptoms which requires different levels of management.

xx
Thesse
thesse
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:12 pm

Sounds like I don;t have flares then, as I don't change the way I manage things depending on severity...
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:16 am

Just because what you experience differs to what others go thru during a flare~up, it doesn't necessarily mean that you don't have them SC. What you experience may well be what constitutes a flare for you as they can be as individual to each of us as can FM. Some of what I experience differs to what has been mentioned here and across the rest of the boards. I asked the same question when I started reading about how others are affected during their flare~ups, and it was only after talking to my GP that I was able understand more about how individual/unique the condition can be to each of us xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby clairbear » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:15 pm

I agree with Fluppy here,
Just because you don't change your med pattern or seek help doesn't mean you're not within a flare.

I tend to have flares that last week's not days which consists of worsening of everyday symptoms (like your really bad days) where bed rest is the only thing I can manage and even that is painful.

I max out my painkillers pretty quick and require repeat prescriptions weekly (because im taking painkillers overnight).
I still take my other meds as normal but may as well not bother as they have zero effect.

My emotions are all over the place, because of a combination of sleep deprivation, pain and fatigue. I've sat and sobbed at home not really knowing why - my GP recognises this as one of my flare symptoms as I normally plod along just barely managing but when I've had enough I'm normally sat with my GP in tears wanting to end everything.

All this said I don't change my meds - only occasionally we'll temporarily increase something to try and help and then reduce it again when say my sleeping pattern goes back to 'normal'.

I think everyone is different I have friends who say they are in a flare but continue as normal in day to day life (I wish I could) but I class a flare as when I'm floored - when all my symptoms combine together to make it unbearable.

It's a very subjective topic, research has shown there are 4/5 variations of the term flare and Dr's are still trying to decide at what point a flare becomes a flare.
Is it when you suspect a difference in your symptoms, when the difference gets worse, when the symptoms haven't gone after a number of days, when you start self medicating to stop it progressing or when you've gone to seek help?
Because so many of of us just 'get on' without making a fuss my guess is it will take a lot more research to come up with a guide!
clairbear
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:17 am

I'm non-medicated, I manage with occasional OTC painkillers (not even including codeine as I'm allergic to opiates) and the only thing that puts me in bed for the day is a virus. So life generally continues even if I feel pretty rubbish. I might work from home rather than commute if I'm really bad. I saw a GP recently for the 1st time in over 2 years because of the stomach ache I mentioned in my OP. So I tend not to think in terms of flares as it doesn't match most of what other people seem to go through
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby clairbear » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:02 pm

It's hard isn't it, one persons flare is another's slight annoyance or someone elses every day!
I have a building list of other problems as well as Fibro so my biggest issue is whether it's a fibro flare, a new issue or one of my other conditions.
It makes sense that a virus knocks you about I think all of us would say infections and viruses tend to make fibro symptoms worse.
clairbear
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia