Now my ears!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Now my ears!

Postby tintagel » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:08 am

[b][b]Hello, Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, it does. Both my ears have been affected since a couple of weeks ago. They feel 'full', for want of a better expression, painful off and on, I have a bit of a headache and sometimes feel nauseous, which I firmly believe is from the ears issue. It's bad enough having all the body wide pain and stiffness, but this is making me fell ill as well. GP says both my ears are healthy. Does anybody else have ear issues? Is this fibromyalgia (guess it must be) and what do people do to help it? Advice from anybody on the forum would be greatly appreciated. I work and have had no benefit from lyrica or Neurontin, just horrible side effects.
Thanks to you all,
Diane.
tintagel
UKFM Member

Re: Now my ears!

Postby nadster12 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:37 am

Hi I too get earache quite a lot actually.Then I get a bad headache I think it's a fibro extra,I just fight it as nothing helps.Im with you on this one.Just hang in there you get used to it. X
nadster12
UKFM Newbie

Postby thesse » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:26 pm

Sounds like the ear canal is inflamed, this could be allergies - can you get hold of an antihistamine? I would add an ibuprofen too to redice swelling. Please check with your dr if you have ever had any kind of reaction to those drugs. I am not a dr, just someone who suffers from everything all the time and has become rather practised at treating stuff.
thesse
UKFM Member

Postby laura.dorans » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:29 pm

i get this too, I end up just using some almond oil before bed which usually helps
laura.dorans
UKFM Member

Postby lmj56 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:58 am

I had no symptoms for six weeks! Now aches and pains back and spookily exactly as you have described "full feeling" in my left ear. Given drops as there is a build up of wax.
lmj56
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:17 pm

if your ears have been checked and are healthy, on a fibro symptom point of view it can be a few things. 1: stiffness around your neck & scalp and 2: TMJ which is an associated condition that effects the jaw and causes stiffness which can effect the ears. TMJ can be checked by your dentist.

I wake up unable to hear from stiffness, my ears are also effected. I have trigger point therapy to help. I also have the TMJ and wear a mouthguard to help relive some of the symptoms
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Perfumeflower » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:30 pm

tintagel wrote:[b][b]Hello, Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, it does. Both my ears have been affected since a couple of weeks ago. They feel 'full', for want of a better expression, painful off and on, I have a bit of a headache and sometimes feel nauseous, which I firmly believe is from the ears issue. It's bad enough having all the body wide pain and stiffness, but this is making me fell ill as well. GP says both my ears are healthy. Does anybody else have ear issues? Is this fibromyalgia (guess it must be) and what do people do to help it? Advice from anybody on the forum would be greatly appreciated. I work and have had no benefit from lyrica or Neurontin, just horrible side effects.
Thanks to you all,
Diane.

Hi Diane,

It might be worth going back to your GP to ask him/her if she/he could check whether you could have ETD (Eustachian Tube Dysfunction) because this condition is not always easily detected and could potentially be a missed diagnosis. It is really nothing to worry about as it is rather common in some people... I have it myself where my ears or one ear feels really full at times and really painful. And every time I swallow it makes a 'clicking' sound. I also have Sinusitis and Tinnitus :crazy:

Suffering colds and allergies with nasal/sinus blockage or congestion also play a big part in causing ETD.

Briefly looking inside your ears stating they are both healthy without even referring you to a ENT clinic is just not enough. I just don't understand why some GP's don't want to investigate further. The mind boggles :roll:

Have a good read of this>> http://patient.info/health/eustachian-tube-dysfunction

What are the symptoms of Eustachian tube dysfunction (ETD)?

The main symptom is muffled or dulled hearing. You may also have ear pain because the eardrum is tensed and stretched. Other symptoms that may also develop include a feeling of fullness in the ear, ringing or buzzing in the ear (tinnitus) and dizziness. One or both ears may be affected.

Symptoms can last from a few hours to several weeks or more. It depends on the cause. In most cases due to a cold (the common cause) the symptoms are likely to go within a week or so. As symptoms are easing, you may have popping sensations or noises in the ear. Also, the dulled hearing may come and go for a short time before getting back to normal.

If you think any of the above info relates to you. I would go back to your GP as it is worth getting checked out for it..

perfumeflower x
Perfumeflower
UKFM Member

Postby tintagel » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:15 am

Thanks to all of you for your replies, got to wait a week!! but have an appointment to go back to my GP.
Fingers crossed more help than last time.
Diane x
tintagel
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia