learning to knit

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

learning to knit

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:10 am

Yesterday I attended a learning to knit workshop for beginners. It was so much fun!

http://clairescomfycorner.com/2016/02/2 ... beginners/

I was in pain and had to stand and knit a few times but I was determined to not let fibro spoil the workshop.

Claire
x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Re: learning to knit

Postby Perfumeflower » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:45 pm

Hi,

I used to try and knit a few years ago but I kept getting in a terrible mess as I was dropping stitches all the time so I gave up in the end :oops:

I don't know if I would be able to pick it up again (sorry for the awful pun ;-) ) but I have always had very poor concentration, maybe that's why I was having much trouble with it..

My mum was a knitter and a true expert. She could knit you absolutely anything and everything.From scarf's to jumpers,from jumpers to gloves,from gloves to hats etc etc...she would probably knit you a house if she could.

As a de-stresser,as it's known now, I have taken up Adult Art Therapy,or adult colouring books...but even that takes a little bit of concentrating too. But however,I think I can manage not to colour over the lines :crazy:

Colouring is actually quite therapeutic to the mind. I am currently off work at the mo so I am using some time to pace myself by colouring.I also treated myself to a huge pack of colouring pens.

And I didn't realise there was so many books and designs to choose from. I feel like a child in a sweet shop!

Anyway, good luck with your knitting :-D

Perfumeflower x
Perfumeflower
UKFM Member

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:22 pm

I'm hoping that I keep knitting, I tried today but I wasn't as good as I was at the workshop, i need to keep practising. I LOVE adult colouring books, I have lots of them and 4 pencil cases full of colouring pens and pencils :) It's so relaxing!

Have a lovely evening :)
Claire
x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Postby Suestott » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:21 am

I have been knitting since I was 12 now I'm 60 and been a fybromyalgia victim for approx 15 years, I still manage to
Knit and find it quite therapeutic although I have to say on bad days the pain does get intent so have to put it down. Overall I'd recommend knitting as if your able to do this pastime it can help your state of mind if nothing else, at least you are doing something with an end result. Moderation is the key I think
Suestott
UKFM Newbie

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:14 pm

That's what I'm going to have to do - in moderation :) But I'm going to need to keep practising :)

Claire
X
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:56 pm

Glad to hear you made it to your knitting workshop and had a good time Claire xx I'm good at the theory behind knitting, ut when it comes to actually transferring it to needles and yarn, well it all goes rather pear shaped..... Literally!!

I'm looking into learning to crochet, I've picked up some yarn and hooks and a very straight forward beginners guide book. So far I've mastered the starting chain, and the 2nd/foundation row. I'm hoping I can master the various stitches and techniques to be able to make some vintage items to go with the sort of things I've got lined up for my sewing projects xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:26 pm

Fantastic that you've made a start and mastered the first steps :) I'm looking forward to creating a scarf....eventually!

Have a lovely evening :)

Claire
x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Postby galio » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:28 am

keep practising with the knitting, I too love colouring and got an adult book for xmas, but I find it very painful due to my HMS its hitting my thumb joints and i find gripping a pencil or pen and applying pressure very painful and most annoying lol, the knitting isnt quite so painful i think its the pressure thing that makes it worse. good luck with the sacrf
galio
UKFM Member

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:26 pm

Thank you :) I will keep trying!

Have a lovely evening.

Claire
x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia