Anyone had an isotonic bone scan?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Anyone had an isotonic bone scan?

Postby Topcat0001 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:41 pm

Hi All

So I had my hospital appt with the rheumatologist on Tuesday, she was very thorough and I actually left feeling like she had listened to me.

She examined every part of me (almost)! Apparently my lower body has hyper mobility (and there was me thinking I was supple)!!! She said I will need physio for that. She thinks I may have costochondritis and testing for possible spondylitis. I gave so much blood the nurse joked I had given her a book when I handed the forms in !! She has said I need to see an orthopedic surgeon for my plantar fasciitis as I have had it so long and was told in November it was at risk of rupture.

I am awaiting an appt for an isotonic scan, I am a baby when it comes to things like that and being injected with radiation dye doesnt seem appealing tbh, anyone else had one? Is it ok? I really am dreading it.

She thinks the outcome will be fibromyalgia and said if that is the case I will be referred to a chronic pain clinic. In the meantime she wants me to take Amitriptyline to help me sleep at night. I hate taking tablets so dont want to :-?

I also went to see my GP on Tuesday afternoon and he prescribed them for me and said a 10mg dose would be fine to start with, he also referred me to a surgeon, im gutted because after 27 years of being my amazing GP he is retiring in two weeks and I am so worried because he wont be there for me anymore as he always makes bad things seem ok. Had to laugh yesterday I received my follow up appt with the rheumatologist, it says I have to attend "the care for the elderly day clinic" !!! im 49 :crazy:

So, just have to wait now, went to a spa today (late mothers day gift) had the most amazing massage it really helped and so did the heat from the sauna, I also swam for the first time in years and was thinking it would be a good exercise to try and get back into to, good or bad idea?
Topcat0001
UKFM Member

Re: Anyone had an isotonic bone scan?

Postby thesse » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:47 pm

i also saw a rheumatologist on tuesday, for the first time. She did x rays and blood tests and I got a letter about a bone scan today. I have taken amytriptyline, it does wipe you out but it does help a little bit (but only a little bit).

I hope it improves for you I am so glad it sounds like they really listened. I was also told I have hypermobility, and they are testing for RA or PsA as well as fibro and I have had CFS for years.

good luck xxx
thesse
UKFM Member

Postby Topcat0001 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:56 pm

Hello

I had xrays at Xmas for chest and side profile as I had suspected pnuemonia, xrays were all ok, are you having the dye scan?

My GP has done so many blood tests over the last few years and apart from Vit D and iron all ok that is why she was thinking it will by fibro but is re testing anyway.

Are your eyes affected? My prescription changed in the last year quite a bit!

Good luck to you too xx :)
Topcat0001
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:24 am

If it is Fibromyalgia then all your tests, including the bone test should come back clear as there no definitive tests, other than a touch test for it.

I think, although I am not sure, that they use a butterfly needle, which is tiny and then they inject the isotopes into that. I have not had a scan done, but in my former days i was a staff nurse.

As for medication, you don't have to take it, it is up to you. However, if you are up for alternative therapies you might like to learn meditation, which i use every night and most it helps me sleep better, there are hiccups in everything.

I take cocodamol (pain relief), duloxetine (pain relief and anti depressant) and pantoprazole (stomach protector). Take only what you think you need to, but don't pile one pill on top of another, just in case it might work better. Sometimes they work and some days I am in pain from hell.

Good luck x
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Topcat0001 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:38 am

Thank you

I have just received my bone scan appointment, its for next Tuesday !!!! I dont think going private would have been any quicker!!
Topcat0001
UKFM Member

Postby Paisleyjane » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:27 pm

Hi, I have taken Amytrptilyne in the past. The best way is to take it early evening so it's out your system more by morning, but it does wipe you out till you get used to it.
If you do have fibro, tablets become a way of life. I don't see how else you will deal with the various pain and symptoms.
I don't take a lot but need morphine for pain. I have an infusion monthly which are brilliant. I tried various options to deal with it,but couldn't cope otherwise.
Hope the scan goes well
Paisleyjane
UKFM Member

Postby Topcat0001 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:32 pm

Thank you
Topcat0001
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia