CBT.....did it help?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

CBT.....did it help?

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:16 pm

Hi :-)

I'm a little nervous, tomorrow I have my first CBT session as part of a clinical trial. I hope that it will give me strategies to cope with pain. Fingers crossed!

I'm on holidays from work at the moment so I've had a chance to do a little baking. I'm really proud of today's bake. I've blogged about it on my living with fibromyalgia blog:
http://clairescomfycorner.com/2016/04/0 ... ayer-cake/

And now I'm going to rest and recover from my baking efforts (and eat cake of course!)

I'm also going to try and keep positive about tomorrow! Have you had CBT? Did it help you cope with the pain?

Claire
x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Re: CBT.....did it help?

Postby dotty lotty » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:17 am

Your cake looks yummy. Good luck with the CBT. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:14 am

Hope you saved me a big slice of that cake Claire :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake:

I've undergone CBT/CBT~based therapy before and have found it can help. The first time was a few years ago and involved 6 months of very intensive sessions, well they were for me, and often left me feeling absolutely wiped out for a day or 2 afterwards. I was at my lowest point when I started, and today still use the various techniques and coping strategies tohelp me get thru each day. It doesn't take away the hurtys unfortunately, but it can help you approach them from a different point and live with it in a more helpful and effective way. It was with these techniques and other stuff that I worked on {not FM specific/related} that I was able to get as close as I think I will ever be to acceptance that FM is prt of life now. Giving my health issues a name, physical appearance and referring to the various things that it does to me as part of its personality also helped. So now I tend to describe life as being an uneasy truce, and refer to FM et al as Kevin The Purple Fibro Minion, who is from Despicable Me 2, and one of the ones they missed squirting with jam to turn them back to their usual yellowness xx Even the therapist I was seeing thought this approach was a little unusual, but as it helped me, it became part of how discussed things during sessions xx

I found that emptying my mind {well as much as possible} of preconceptions, expectations etc and going with the sole aim of getting as much as I possibly could from each session was the best approach, and it's something I continue to use when facing something new or different.

CBT isn't for everyone, and you need to have a therapist with whom you can build the rapport with necessary to make the sessions as beneficial as they can be xx If you think an approach may not be helping you, don't be afraid to say so. A decent therapist should tweak and twiddle things to what is suitable for you without any issue xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby macca » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:02 pm

My wife has found CBT to be helpful. It depends on whether the practicioner is skilled, and we think it requires a positive attitude going into it. I knew a colleague who was very dismissive of it, went in with a totally negative attitude and surprise surprise got nothing from it.

Mac
macca
UKFM Member

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:18 pm

Thank you for your responses :-) I definitely want to get something from it. I am delighted I was put into the CBT group on this clinical trial and not have to wait 18 months on the NHS!

Fluppy, I love your approach - Kevin The Purple Fibro Minion :-D

Keep smiling

Claire
xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia