Where do I go now

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Where do I go now

Postby reb1981 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:52 am

I am suffering with a lot of pain all over my body. My back at the bottom and around my ribs is especially bad and I seem to go into spasm every night. It's been like this for the last 2 months. I can't move in the morning, at all. My partner has to help me get out of bed. During the night I'm woken by terrible pain in my ribs and back, I can't sleep unless I have something under my knees so they are bent and I can't lie flat I have to be propped up by pillows. I struggle to take deep breaths as it feels like I have an elastic band tight around my whole body. My hands and feet are swelling and I have hip pain and can't walk far. I go to the gym to try and loosen my muscles, I eat correctly and take cod liver oil. Where do I go from here, can anyone help me please...
reb1981
UKFM Member

Re: Where do I go now

Postby migrembe » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:02 pm

Welcome to the life of Fibro! Unfortunately this is what is known as a flare and they seem to come in lots of ways and just because this time it is effecting your back, next time it maybe your legs or everywhere.

You don't say if you are on any medication or what medication you are taking?

If this is new then you should consult your GP just in case it's something else and not fibro. Also try having a really hot bath-get into a hot bath and then make it as hot as you can bare it, I find it helps. You might find a gentle massage useful too. I also meditate, I find it relaxes me and helps me sleep, most nights, which helps with being able to cope with the level of pain even if i am in too much pain to do much, even get out of bed.

Try and work out what you did or what's changed in your life, small knocks and changes can cause body stress and increase of pain. Be gentle with yourself at the gym, fibro is not muscle strain, but the way the brain is interpreting signals from the body, therefore more exercise does not actually equate to less pain.

I hope this is useful, feel better soon, Beverley :hugs:
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby reb1981 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:31 pm

Thank you......I'm still new to this fibro thing. I'm only 34 I work full time and I try to do everything for myself but it's becoming too hard. I take 600 mg Gabapentine and Naproxen when required, which is quite often at the moment. I am thinking of going back to the doctors but what do I say? Can I be referred? if so to who? I think my back or ribs is a new thing and I can't think of any knocks I have had. It is seriously painful........
reb1981
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:27 pm

You can ask to be referred to the pain clinic. I didn't gabapentin very useful and naproxen burnt my stomach lining, so i had to stop it. Although I am a staff nurse you might want to clear this with you doctor, i often take paracetamol with the naproxen as they work better together.

You need to slow down, especially if you work full time you may find less hours useful. Although symptoms come and go, they never really disappear, sorry. I had to give up work 5 years ago.

Beverley x
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby reb1981 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:05 pm

I have been told about reducing my hours, I get pip now and while I get that I can afford to reduce my hours but I'm scared, if they take it off me I won't be earning enough to pay the mortgage etc. I feel trapped
reb1981
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia