Painful feet.

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Painful feet.

Postby Scruffy » Tue May 03, 2016 5:12 pm

Can anyone confirm that painful, burning feet that when you walk on them feel like you are walking on sharp stones is FM. I went to GP last week and they didn't even look at my feet, just arranged for me to have elbow crutches to take some of the weight off my feet - not that I am over weight. Getting worried that if this continues I may end up in a wheelchair. Anyone got any suggestions?
Scruffy
UKFM Newbie

Re: Painful feet.

Postby Anuib6 » Tue May 03, 2016 6:51 pm

Yes, I have painful feet. Exactly the same as you, my chiropodist asked me if my medication had changed as my skin is paper thin & toenail not growing. Same with my hands, skin very thin fingernails are splitting lengthways too. Doctor does not want to know, I found out that one of my legs is longer 1 & half inches longer due to hip operations & not measuring my legs properly & flat footed, why God only knows. But my poor feet are truly truly painful.
Anuib6
UKFM Member

Postby Topcat0001 » Tue May 03, 2016 6:51 pm

It could be plantar fascitiis. That is extremely painful and can burn, the pain can be in the heels the sides and the arch (I had it for 18 months now) google it and see if you recognise the symptoms :)
Topcat0001
UKFM Member

Postby fatalrazkaz » Tue May 03, 2016 10:53 pm

Plantar fascitiis is very common in people with Fibromyalgia. I have had it in my right foot for 2 years now and I'm having physiotherapy as it doesn't want to get better. This is the second time I've had it in this foot and I've had it once in the other foot. Whatever you do don't wear completely flat shoes (like some summer sandals are) always have a very slight heel. Something like a trainer with an arch support is best. I suggest you look up plantar fascitiis and print it off. Then make an appointment for your Dr and shove it in front of him :twisted:
fatalrazkaz
UKFM Member

Postby Grace56 » Wed May 04, 2016 9:03 am

I also have very painful feet. I don't have to walk far and they hurt and burn. On a recent break in London, I did a lot of walking and at night, the burning was unbearable. My left foot hurts at the top, and there is a boney lump which I've had for years.
I've just bought some arch supports do I'll see how that goes.

Thanks for the information folks. :)
Grace56
UKFM Newbie

Postby Topcat0001 » Wed May 04, 2016 4:57 pm

Be careful with the arch supports, the off the shelf ones I bought made the right foot so bad it became near to rupture. Also physio made my ankle bad. I also have a loud crunching sound when I walk bare foot on a hard floor its gross.

I am supposed to be seeing a surgeon in two weeks but think I will cancel as I dont want surgery as there is no guarantee it will work. Currently waiting to see a podiatrist to have insoles made to measure.

Wearing heels really helps as it lifts the pressure of the heels.
Topcat0001
UKFM Member

Postby Tysiriol » Thu May 05, 2016 2:58 pm

I was also going to ask if it might be plantar fascitiis. I had it 10 years ago and I couldn't touch my feet to the ground, it was excruciating. If it is PF then there are things that can be done to help. Thankfully mine resolved on its own but there are shoe supports and steroid injections if memory serves. xx
Tysiriol
UKFM Newbie

Postby galio » Fri May 06, 2016 6:48 pm

Tysiriol wrote:I was also going to ask if it might be plantar fascitiis. I had it 10 years ago and I couldn't touch my feet to the ground, it was excruciating. If it is PF then there are things that can be done to help. Thankfully mine resolved on its own but there are shoe supports and steroid injections if memory serves. xx

I have had plantar on and off for the last 6 years, my first treatment was physio exercises combined with a heel wedge which helped a bit but didn't clear it fully so i then had steroid injection, now when i feel it starting i hit the exercises they help but its still niggling on in teh background, due to other problems i was sent to podiatry who couldnt care less and left me arch supports at reception never checked to see if they were right etc, after months of wearing them they started causing more problems than they helped but my new shoes have good support in them and i find my feet more sore after a day in teh house with no shoes on that days when i get out and put the trainers on. exercises can help loads if it turns out to be plantar
galio
UKFM Member

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Sat May 07, 2016 9:57 am

I've had burning feet for years now, they are so painful. I wear skechers go walk and they are so comfortable and in the summer I have a comfy pair of sandals, I can't really wear any other shoes now as my feet suffer. x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat May 07, 2016 12:21 pm

Issues with burning feet can be attributed to FM, but can also be an indicator of a completely unrelated problem, so do have it checked out rather than thinking it all must come under the FM umbrella.

Like Claire, I'm a big Sketchers Go~Walk fangirl too. I've just ordered some more as my current ones have quite a high milage on them, altho they are still going strong xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Gill76 » Mon May 09, 2016 3:53 pm

I've had burning feet for as long as I can remember, and was lucky enough to get plantar fasciitis in my left foot. Count me as one of the Sketchers go walk fans. I've got one pair and they're so comfortable. I need to get myself another pair.
Diagnosed HMS - 1996 ~ Diagnosed Fibro - April 2011
Gill76
UKFM Member

Postby annamariehope » Mon May 30, 2016 9:40 am

I have painful feet caused by tibialis posterior dysfunction - it's similar to plantar but slightly different so look it up online. My sister has plantar as flat feet run in our family. I have absolutely no arches so have had long journey or having special orthotics made for my shoes. I cannot wear flats or heels - only boots or trainers with my orthotics inside to help provide enough support. For flat feet special shoes/trainers that recreate the missing 'rocking' motion can be helpful.

Sometimes they are called rocker shoes or trainers and you can find them on amazon. There is a company selling them in UK but prices can run up to £70 for one pair! I will try to post a link for them later. If you have plantar than like others have said here, shoes with wedge heels seem to help. My sister says the same. But if you are like me you won't be able to wear a heel at all as the angle of the foot is wrong and causes far more pain, so a rocker shoe or shoe with thicker sole is your best bet.

My feet problems began back when I was a teenager but have no idea if the flat feet and it's associated pain are part of fibro. What changed for me in the last 18 months however was apart from painful walking, excessive tingling like pins and needles in the base of my feet, which I also get in my fingers and hands. When I went back to my podiatrist they told me that was NOT related to the tibialis posterior dysfunction. They recommended that I see a rheumatologist as they suspected fibro too.

That confirmation from them, along with my other fibro symptoms is what convinced me it was fibro too. My GP had dismissed it all. Then when I saw the rheumatologist he agreed and diagnosed FM.

Looking back now I see it had the family genetics plus the poor home environment (domestic violence, homelessness, poverty) that gave enough stressors to trigger FM as an adult.

But whatever people tell you you are your best doctor. So listen to your body and believe it. Do your own research and I sister on any referrals you need to be able to get an answer and move forward to discovering your best treatment plan. Good luck with it all! Xx

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk
annamariehope
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia