Loosing the belly

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Loosing the belly

Postby chipchip » Wed May 11, 2016 4:57 pm

Since my fibro symptoms properly started I've been losing more and more muscle and now have a flabby belly and love handles. My weight on the scales is healthy but my waist is more than half my height, indicating I'm at risk of diabetes etc etc.

Anyone else struggle with this? Is it harder to lose fat when you've got fibro? I've only just started trying and it's not easy!
dx Fibromyalgia and hypermobile joint syndrome in 2011 by rheumatologist. Female, early 30s.
chipchip
UKFM Member

Re: Loosing the belly

Postby SchroedingersCat » Wed May 11, 2016 5:04 pm

I've just done 2 weeks with absolutely NO sugar in my food and lost 5 pounds, most of it off my bum and tum. I have eaten like a horse and never been hungry. So in my case, no, FM has not made me fat (I was 9 stone 5 when I started) and I'm not struggling to get it off either
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby chipchip » Thu May 12, 2016 8:50 am

Guess I'm not trying hard enough then :p

I started september last year at 10 stone 2 and have lost 18 pounds on the 5:2 diet, but for the past couple of months my weight loss has slowed to about a 1/4 pound a week and the belly remains.

Maybe a a couple of weeks off sugar would kickstart more weight loss... I'm only aiming to lose another 5 pounds or so but it's looking like it's going to take a while (aiming for a bmi of 20 which on a very small frame with minimal muscle would hardly put me in the underweight category).
dx Fibromyalgia and hypermobile joint syndrome in 2011 by rheumatologist. Female, early 30s.
chipchip
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu May 12, 2016 10:26 am

When I say no sugar, I mean I am reading the labels on everything and anything with added sugar, sweetener, honey, glucose etc is OFF the menu. Bread is pretty obvious, but some of the unexpected horrors I have discovered to contain sugar include: cheese and onion rolls, bacon and cooked meats, Dolmio cheese sauce, salad dressings (ALL of them), every chinese cooking sauce on the market and most soy sauces except the really expensive ones, and smoked salmon. It's not hard to do from a going hungry point of view, but it does mean there is very little processed or pre-prepared food that you can eat. Eating out is a nightmare. Fish and chips and steak and chips have been my saviours. Pizza is a total no.

Edited to add: to be fair to most people on here, I don't take any medication, and I DO know several of the drugs prescribed to treat the symptoms of FM DO promote weight gain and increased appetite. My friends who suffer tell me FM itself also makes you crave carbs, but it never has me, so I can't vouch for that.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby chipchip » Thu May 12, 2016 10:53 am

I gained weight on antidepressants a few years ago, but I now try and not take any meds for the fibro at all apart from the occasional paracetamol. I don't know if the weight gain was due to the antidepressants or eating too much. I suspect the latter if i'm honest.

OH and I did the GI diet a few years ago, cutting out sugar and things like bread in most forms but I felt too deprived :( I could probably manage it for a couple of weeks though.
chipchip
UKFM Member

Postby chipchip » Tue May 24, 2016 2:15 pm

I've read that excess cortisol can cause you to retain belly fat and I definitely have a few stresses and anxieties in my life that might cause that.

I've also read that taking fish oil (specifically 'EPA') can help decrease cortisol so I've started taking capsules today :)
chipchip
UKFM Member

Postby chipchip » Thu May 26, 2016 8:05 am

FInally - 20 pounds and nine months down, the belly has started to shift. I suspect my body was just hanging onto that fat until the bitter end as it's too soon for the fish oil to be working. I've hovering between 36 and 35 inches since september 2015 and this morning it was 34! I need to get it under 32 (I measure around my belly button).

My chiropractor has noticed a big difference looking at my notes - apparently i see her less, i report less pain and she has to do less to me. I've noticed that she doesn't struggle to adjust me any more too.
chipchip
UKFM Member

Postby JasonSharpe » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:24 am

There are four keys to controlling belly fat: exercise, diet, sleep, and stress management. Vigorous exercise trims all your fat, including visceral fat.There is no magic diet for belly fat. But when you lose weight on any diet, belly fat usually goes first. For effective belly fat removal detox teas are definitely the right choice. Detox teas has the ability to help your organs and systems purge themselves of stored up toxins.
Last edited by JasonSharpe on Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JasonSharpe
UKFM Newbie

Postby perseus » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:00 am

The Trust Me I'm A Doctor team have done some experiments to finally get to the bottom of it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36763102
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia