working up the courage - wheelchair

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

working up the courage - wheelchair

Postby animeemo3 » Sat May 14, 2016 9:05 am

Had a wheelchair delivered yesterday, now I have to try and use it outside. I won't be able to use it on the bus, meaning I'm going to have to wheel myself everywhere but hopefully this will mean I can do a lot more before being too exhausted to do anything. Just gotta get over the paranoia of using it first. The people around my area are pretty judgemental, and I have to pass all of them before I can exit my street.
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Re: working up the courage - wheelchair

Postby SchroedingersCat » Sat May 14, 2016 10:02 am

Judgemental about someone using a WHEELCHAIR? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? They're gonna do what now, scream "benefit scrounger" at you? Dear gods....I'm glad I don't live where you do!
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby animeemo3 » Sat May 14, 2016 10:38 am

It's mostly the typical "young person" image that's to blame. They're all over 40 with kids and I don't look like them (23, bright hair, piercings ect) and i usually use crutches which doesn't help the judgement. They've seen me struggling to get home with one bag, and just gave me shifty side-eye looks and whisper to each other. It also doesn't help that they all seem to be curtain twitchers, and if there's any noises outside they are straight there, looking. I usually don't care about what other people think but I feel that by having a chair, it's going to open me up to ridicule or reporting me to the Dwp or something. I felt like this when I first had to use crutches but I eventually got over it, it's just having to do it all over again I suppose.
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Sat May 14, 2016 11:34 am

Reporting you to the DWP? *sigh*

What is this country turning into?
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Sun May 15, 2016 8:24 am

Keep your head held high, you are using a wheelchair to help you move about and have a better life. Try not to worry about the curtain twitchers, they sound like sad human beings. Enjoy the freedom the wheelchair offers you.

Keep smiling :-D
Claire
xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Postby bettyboop27 » Sun May 15, 2016 7:01 pm

One question, why do you think you can't use your wheelchair on the bus?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bettyboop27
UKFM Newbie

Postby animeemo3 » Sun May 15, 2016 11:07 pm

Well, my chair is too wide for me to get it onto the bus and between the seats (I haven't got anyone to be with me to help) And it would mean relying on the driver to put the ramp down ect, trying to find a bus that isn't filled with people/prams (which is rare) . plus the position of the chair space on the bus is backwards facing and i get sick if I'm not facing the way the bus is travelling. I don't have a good time with transport as it is
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Postby bettyboop27 » Mon May 16, 2016 12:56 pm

Oh right, sorry to hear that. I was going to say that buses have to take wheelchairs, but you are right, always face backwards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bettyboop27
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia