losing weight with fibromyalgia

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

losing weight with fibromyalgia

Postby luckylucky » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:37 pm

Hi guys just wandered if any one else struggled ,since my symptoms started I pilled on 2,stone I was already heavy to start. With that's a 4 stone gain since I got married 3 years ago I'm mortified never dreamed I'd weigh as much as I do but finding it so hard with fibro mainly exercise as I'm so sore all the time and not much energy also I feel my body has just changed so much!

Any advice much appreciated as i need to get the weight of for my health
luckylucky
UKFM Newbie

Re: losing weight with fibromyalgia

Postby Patsb » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:03 pm

I was a size 12 all my life till I started on meds for fibro then I piled 3 stone on in 3 months :twisted: I'm now a 16 . I refuse to look in a full length mirror. And I only eat one meal a day and no junk food grrrrrrr.
Patsb
UKFM Member

Postby Roni1970 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:18 pm

It has been the same problem for me too. The pain suffered during and after exercising was not worth the hassle. One hour of exercise (if I could last that long) would see me wiped out for the rest of the week. I gave up on ever losing weight until my doctor gave me a token for slimming world. 12 weeks for free! To be honest I didn't think it would work because I was unable to exercise, but 16 weeks in and I have lost one stone (Woohoo!) with no exercise.

The lady who runs the group re-iterated what my doctor said, losing weight is all about what you eat. I guess they were right.
Roni1970
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:30 pm

I recently did 30 days completely sugar free, no added sweeteners of any sort, natural or unnatural, and no booze. I've just had a long weekend away at the end of those 30 days, drunk some booze and ate a little bread and 1 piece of cake, yet now 37 days after I started the diet, I have lost 10 pounds without being hungry, I no longer crave sugary food or snack between meals, and my appetite generally has dropped. Also had no blood sugar dips resulting in the shakes when hungry, my anxiety levels have been low, and my fatigue attacks have been pretty much non-existent, I've had more energy than I've had in years. I'd recommend it to anyone with FM to try.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby alcmsx » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:31 pm

Am afraid am excatly the same tried walking the other week and after a few mins was in agony so am going to try swimming again was a bit wary as if my legs cramp in the water, but am thinking as long as I stay in shallow end should be okay its the only thing I can think of that I could build up bit by bit
alcmsx
UKFM Newbie

Postby Rache » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:03 am

I'm the same, 2.5 stone on between sept and March! I try to tackle gentle exercise, but i just can't get to do it regularly. I started slimming world a month ago and I do seem to be dropping the weight. Half a stone so far! I had tried dieting on my own, but it would never last a week lol. Hoping I can keep it up on this!

Good luck x
Rache
UKFM Newbie

Postby galio » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:04 am

my weight is just going up and up, mum is going to pay for me and my son to go to slimming world we just need to get his uni exams out the way and catch up on his house work first! yip an excuse but we are going and as for exercise please google "the fibro guy" he has some great tips (hunt through his videos for them one is about pacing and starting exercise) it sounds like your going too hard at it,, an hour is far to much to start with i try to walk every day even if its just along to my sons house and back and am on a phased return to my job, this includes playground duty so have bought a shooting stick so i can sit and rest if need be i got one that has a shoulder strap as i dont need to carry it in my hand unless im feeling really unsteady then it works as a walking stick!
galio
UKFM Member

Postby FMNewbie » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:17 am

I tried lots of different diets and found that Juice Plus worked for me
Lost 2 stone (down from 13 stone to 11) in 16 weeks and kept it off

Helps with the IBS symptoms too and I've had less
Flare ups
FMNewbie
UKFM Newbie

Postby calipres » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:37 am

I would lying if I told you that i had this figured out, but I've found that my weight and my symptoms are both very related to the food that I eat. When I eat well, my I feel more energetic and I get more exercise - even if this just means going for a short walk. For me, I've learned I need to write things down all the time so use a food journal to help me fight fibromyalgia weight gain. I record all my meals, snacks, drinks other than water. This shows me when I've been snacking more than I thought I was. At one point I was trying to track calories but it became overwhelming and for me it turned out to be unnecessary - I was able to make a few small changes to my daily food routine which I think has helped but I still have to work at it.
calipres
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia