Cervical Smears

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Cervical Smears

Postby Shirleen » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:20 am

Hi everyone.

I'm overdue for a smear test, but I can't make an appointment to go because I cannot "assume the position" due to the pain in my hips.

Has anyone had this problem and overcome it?
I did mention it to the nurse and she said, oh come back when you're not in pain....????

I wondered about asking to go somewhere that has the stirrups and short table instead but want to know if that is an option or do I need to stay with the GP?

Sorry if it's a bit TMI x
A day without laughter is a day wasted.
Shirleen
UKFM Newbie

Re: Cervical Smears

Postby Joanne123321 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:29 am

Same here, apparently you can get referred to hospital to get it done, they deal with this kind of problem. (According to the nurse in my doctors ).
Joanne123321
UKFM Newbie

Postby alcmsx » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:08 pm

Had same problem with stirrups and was horrific cos i couldnt just get out of the position, being on the end of the table was like having a knife in my spine, dont know what solution would be
alcmsx
UKFM Newbie

Postby Patsb » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:48 pm

I've missed my smear test due to this problem too.also my mammograms :(
Patsb
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:01 am

Ladies,

First of all, I cant express enough how important this test is. I was left the normal time and always went soon as I got a letter. Good job too cause if I had of put it off or waited I would have had cancer.

I ended up having a cone biopsy with most of my cervix having to be cut away :shock: its severely scarred now but a small price to pay as the cells in my case formed quick time and in between waiting the recommend time my cells had gone to CIN3 (stage before cancer)

I have had to have yearly smears. I passed my 10years being OK so now back to 3 years. I also have the problem with the procedure.

Getting on the bed, a task and half! laying flat another as my back curves, then having the discomfort as (TMI) they need to get into me further and scrape harder due to the operation.

To help, you can ask for a referral to the hospital. Not every one is accepted, only special circumstances but you can ask. Your GP will write to hospital and then they will come back with the answer.

Before your appointment I would tell the receptionist you may need 2 nurses. To help you on and off the couch. One to help you get into and stay in a comfortable position, the other doing the procedure.

I find making a fist and putting them under my buttocks to help. The nurse can help you with this.

Pillows are a must also. I have one put under me as well.

I take pain killers before I go. Its working as a team to provide comfort. To not rush it and take time and if at first things don't go right to wait for a bit and try again.

I hope this helps
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia