housebound again

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

housebound again

Postby animeemo3 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:32 pm

So, I tried to use the manual wheelchair supplied to me and failed miserably. It brought on the most horrific flare and it was only about 100 meters. My entire upper body was literally unusable for more than a week and the pain was unreal. I spoke to wheelchair services and they agreed that a powered chair is the best thing for me, however, they cannot supply me with one as my house is too small for an indoor/outdoor chair and they cannot supply power chairs for outdoor use only. Their only advice was to contact charities and set up a gofundme. I've contacted five different charities and they've all denied me. I've also set up a gofundme, but nothing so far as sharing is useless as I only have a few contacts and no family or friends. I did find a place where they allow you to pay for a power chair in monthly installments, but they require you to be working 16+ hours a week, and I don't. So after months of having hope, it's all been dashed and I'm housebound again. Seriously disgusted with myself and my life.
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Re: housebound again

Postby Steelygrey78 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:13 pm

Hello, I really do feel sorry for you and I know what it feels like when you are alone. It takes such effort to get back outside. I will say well done for trying the wheelchair and I am sorry that you had to go through the pain of a flare up. I was wondering if you get any payment like DLA or P.I.P on the highest rate? If you do you can use that money to get a powered wheelchair or scooter or a car. Look up Motability the website is full of information. If you want to talk PM me. Good luck reading.

Take care of yourself.
Steelygrey78
UKFM Newbie

Postby animeemo3 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:50 pm

No, only get lowest rate mobility pip
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Postby LindyM66 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:36 am

Hi A,

Sorry to read you're having such a difficult time. It's a rotten feeling, to have your hopes dashed in 1 swoop!

Would renting a mobility scooter (or chair) be a feasible option for you? I know there are places who rent them out, but no idea of prices. Might be worth looking in to.

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia