Total knee replacement with FMS/CFS

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Total knee replacement with FMS/CFS

Postby Genie65 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:40 pm

Has anyone had a TKR with fibro and chronic fatigue? I am 76, with
long term fibro and fatigue. Saw orthopaedic surgeon last week and was told left knee bone on bone. Told him about fibro etc also lipoedema which is on upper legs with small hard lipomas under the skin. He thought it wouldn't be a problem, but since doing some online research I have learned that physio starts on the first day after surgery and is very intensive and painful because the muscles must not be allowed to form scar tissue, otherwise the knee will never move properly v afterwards. I have decided not to have surgery,I don't want to make the fibro worse than it is now and I think I would not get back even the limited mobility I have now. I also have arthritis in my lower spine, hands and shoulders so using a walker/crutches/sticks is painful after just a couple of minutes. Has anyone any experience of TKR and fibro? I would very much welcome advice. I had a hip replacement but that was 11 years ago and apparently the hip is much less painful to replace. It has worked very well so far.
Thanks
Genie65
UKFM Member

Re: Total knee replacement with FMS/CFS

Postby LindyM66 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:40 pm

Hi G,
I can't give you any advice, or share experience with you, as I've never had a personal experience of surgery. I do have a colleague though, who has had a knee replacement, replaced (there is a name for the surgery, but I can't remember). She also has fibro, RA and a few other physical conditions - she seems to be doing good. She's in her 50's.
I hope someone comes along with a bit more positive info to share with you.

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby Genie65 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:26 pm

Thanks Lindy good to know someone had had good results.
Genie65
UKFM Member

Postby difly » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:55 pm

hello G as we know every ones experience is different but for myself I have had TKR on both knees one February this year and the otherApril 2015 I spent 3 nights in hospital after the op and yes did start physio the next day after the op each op was different first
one I had a femoral blocker and epidural I had a brilliant anethasist who understood about Fibro etc the second op involved an epidural and morphine drip for 12 hours after op following discharge physio continued for 6 weeks ,along with the fibro I also have chronic fatique ,carpel tunnel, trigeminal neuralga and marked arthritis in both hands also osteoporosis in back .after the op I was waiting for a flare up but it didn't happen until after my physio had finished Im not sorry I got my knees done as the pain in my knees has lessoned
hope things go ok for you take care difly
difly
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:17 am

I know that what we offer on here are our thoughts, opinions and experiences, and that ultimately any decision to be made can only be arrived at by yourself Genie65 xx To make such a decision, I always think a balanced look at the pros and cons is necessary, as well as being mindful of the fact that whilst what you will be going thru will share similarities with others who have gone thru the process, your actual experience will be unique to you and how your body may react to what is being done.

Altho online research can be extremely helpful, it can also be extremely scary too. Quite often when we read about the nightmare and horrors others may have experienced thru having a similar procedure to what has beenn suggested for you, it's far too easy to forget that for every one scary story you may read, there could be 10 or 20 or even more people who have had the op and found that things were much easier to deal with than they were expecting.

Also, if you look at things over the long term, not having the op could result in you experiencing a lot more flare~ups and problems being caused due to bone rubbing on bone, whereas if you were to have the TKR, whilst there is a chance that things may flare~up with the trauma of the op, physio etc, it's not given that it will absolutely, definitiely happen that way. And even if it did, nothing says that it will last longer, or been even worse than flare~ups you've experienced before.

In your position, I would put together questons, thoughts and worries etc as well as using info from a reliable source, and go back to see the surgeon and ask about all the things that are whizzing round in your head. Having had a relative who was told that joint replacements are currently only being offered to the very worst cases, I would think that, with you being told it was very much needed, you fall into this category. Should you decline the offer of the op, and carry on with how things are currently, you could find that further down the line, things start becoming more and more diffcult for you. And, that once you have gone thru the referral system again, things have deteriated to such a state that the op isno longer possible for you.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Genie65 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:04 pm

Fluffy puppy, sorry to be so long before responding to your helpful comments and others too who have so kindly taken time to post. I am going back to see the surgeon in November with a list of questions as King as your arm! Will post after, with my decision! Thanks again everyone for your help.
Genie65
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia