Air Conditioning (a rant)

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Air Conditioning (a rant)

Postby chipchip » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:08 pm

I hate it! It's blasting in my face and on my hands, which are now stiff and cold. I have 4 layers on, the outer of which is a hoody with a fur lining and I still can't concentrate on my work :( My colleagues don't believe me that I'm cold - why on earth would I pretend???? It's drawing attention to myself having this many layers on and I don't like drawing attention to myself under any circumstance.

I need to find a new job for many reasons, but most offices seem to have aircon these days :(
dx Fibromyalgia and hypermobile joint syndrome in 2011 by rheumatologist. Female, early 30s.
chipchip
UKFM Member

Re: Air Conditioning (a rant)

Postby LindyM66 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:42 pm

Hi ChipChip

Funnily enough, I had to ask a staff member to turn the aircon down, in a restaurant the other day - for the same reasons! I was blooming freezing! I was sitting rubbing my hands together as if out in the cold. I have peripheral vascular disease, whichakes me feel cold at the best of times. I wear fleece jammies in summer hehe!
Keep smiling chipchip :-)

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby chipchip » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:14 pm

I've never considered asking for it to be turned down in a restaurant, I've always figured I should put up with it. Now I'll reconsider. My chiropractor is lovely, she does it every time :) will wear fingerless gloves to work on Monday. I've been putting it off because they're a bit scratchy but maybe fabric softener will help
dx Fibromyalgia and hypermobile joint syndrome in 2011 by rheumatologist. Female, early 30s.
chipchip
UKFM Member

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:35 pm

Hi chipchip

Can you ask them to turn down the air conditioning? Or work in an office in the building that doesn't have it?

Hugs
Claire
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Postby chipchip » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:23 pm

Hi Claire, afraid not. The majority of the office wants it at the current level and my boss wouldn't let me work in a different office - he needs to speak to me throughout the day and be able to see my screen. Will be job hunting in a couple of months. Non air conditioned work place high up the list of requirements!
chipchip
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:20 am

Could you sit at another desk in your current office, one that is the furtherest away from the air con ducts??? Your boss would still be able to speak to you, see your screen etc but at the least, you will hopefully feel a little more comfortable xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby chipchip » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:15 am

No, he wants to be able to turn and talk to me while I'm right there, hand me work etc. I could push the issue but there is no HR dept here and the MDs general opinion is that if you don't like it you can leave. If I start trying to move citing a disability and tell them that they have to do it they'll find a way to get rid of me. I just wish I could job hunt sooner.

I have my 4 layers and a blanket this morning! I tried my gloves but I've now got too much bulk around my wrists which now ache and I'm struggling to type because gloves are always too big on me - they're fingerless and still cover my fingers! :evil:
chipchip
UKFM Member

Postby chipchip » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:36 am

only 4 of us in today out of the usual 8 and none of them are air conditioning nazis. I got in first and turned it off!!!!! :) means it won't come on automatically on Monday and if no one gets too hot no one will notice that it isn't on!

Small victories :)
chipchip
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia