Tablets and pain

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Tablets and pain

Postby Ann castle » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:20 pm

Hi all.well today I'm in severe pain! I've been taking my tablets since two weeks ago I'm only on 300 mg of gabapentin plus 400mg of tramadol.
I've never experienced anything like this before not to this extent!
I'm seeing my doctor on weds next week .I feel drained the brain fog....REALLY...... I go into a room and forget what I went in for.im doing courses that I can't concentrate on...and look I was going to ask about tablets then I rant on so the question is can I take one extra gabapentin to help with the pain?
Ann castle
UKFM Newbie

Re: Tablets and pain

Postby Joanne123321 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:49 pm

You can take a lot more than that but always ask your doctor to ok it first. You have to increase gradually. Just ring doctor and ask for a telephone consultation.
Joanne123321
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:06 pm

Gabapentin needs time to build up in your system, this can be anything between a monthish to 3 months for any benefits to be experienced. During this time the dosage also tends to be increased to the max or prescribed amount. Gabapentin isn't used like a painkiller where is is taken as and when it may be needed, it needs to be taken continuously to get the best from it xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby LindyM66 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:40 pm

Hi Ann,

Yes, ask ur GP to increase your gabapentin. I started off on 100mgs x 3 daily - lowest dose. After a week, increased - but slowly, ie: increased bed time dose to 200 mgs, done that for a couple of days, then increased middle dose to 200mgs, and finally all 3 doses were 200 x 3 daily. Then the same process with increasing to 300. I take 100 tramadol along with it.
It did take at least 2 and a half months for me to feel any real effects - but boy, what a difference it had made. I am not completely pain free, but it's manageable most days.

Good luck

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia