Got stuck in bed this morning

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Got stuck in bed this morning

Postby Charlie73 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:57 pm

I seem to be be on a downward curve at the moment.
So this morning my 4 year old got into bed with me at 5am, I must have rolled onto my back at some point, and at 7ish I woke up and tried to roll onto my side and found I couldn't move for pain. My 17 year old is in turkey, so I had to call my 19 year old who was at his girlfriends house to help. We went with a '1-2-3 Go' approach, with him just pulling me into an upright position with me tying not to scream!
I managed to get in to see a GP this afternoon, she has signed me off work for a month :( and increased my amitriptyline to 20mgs. I'm waiting to see my local pain management team but I could have a few months wait.
I have given in and contacted an occupational therapist to order a bed lever and a perching stool, and I've signed up for cbt. I've also got myself booked in for a new yoga class, I've chatted to the lady running it, she is familiar with fibro, she said she has a few clients with it. It might not be the right time to start something new, but I feel like I need to start trying to accept this, and find ways to look after my body a bit more. Trying to deny it and carry on as normal definitely isn't working!
I'm interested to know if anyone else has tried yoga? Am I attempting too much?
Charlie73
UKFM Member

Re: Got stuck in bed this morning

Postby LindyM66 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:43 am

Hi Charlie,

Sorry to read your having a tough time at the moment.

Regards the yoga, it may be something to try, once your pain is less? For myself, I know if I am in pain, to attempt to " push through", only makes it worse. But we're all different.
I had a social work assessment last week, with regards "aids" to make life easier, ie: furniture raisers for my sofas, a banister added etc, and she is requesting an OT assessment of my bathroom.
It's not about giving in, to the fibro Charlie, but I understand what you mean, totally - but making life a bit easier, if we can. Accepting that we have this condition, and there are changes which we need to make to our life, and do things differently. And yip, it is a bummer!
My application for a blue badge was accepted, and that has made such a difference, when it needs to. That's the point I'm trying to get across ( I think) - the aids we may get, help us, when we need them. We may not need them all the time.
I hope your pain eases a little Charlie. I've woken up like the tin man this morning. Where's that WD40? :-)

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby Jeany » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:58 am

Hi there I can sympathise as I have had quite a few periods where I am screaming to turn over in bed and to get out of bed. I also at time really struggle with the stairs. I have thought about using aids such as a stick when I am struggling to get about, but friends and family look horrified when I mention this...it's the same old story that because you don't look too bad they can't appreciate what you are going through and I think some people actual think I exaggerate.
I've applied for a free disable bus pass twice and been refused but never applied for a blue badge, maybe I am filling out the forms wrong.

We all have to do what we can to get through each day. I have had fibro and M E for 4 years and had to give up work at 55 years old. I take each day as it come, but I usually have to go for a rest each day just to get my body into a different position and try to re charge my batteries.

Be kind to yourself but don't give up.

Jeany
Jeany
UKFM Member

Postby LindyM66 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:43 am

Hi Jeany,

I'm actually surprised they don't request a DNA sample. From what I read before applying, the criteria differs, depending on which local authority you are under.
As for a stick/cane, if you need it, use it Jeany. I've just turned 50, and the Physio gave me 2 crutches, although I only use one (the other was just incase I ever need 2). It really helps no end, to give me that bit of stability and security, and prevents me staggering as if I'm drunk!
I blinged it up too, and it looks fabulous! Well, I think so lol
You do and use what helps you. Other people don't have to cope with your FM - you do.

Much Love
Lindy x
Attachments
20160621_151239.jpg
20160621_151239.jpg (3.98 MiB) Viewed 4448 times
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby Charlie73 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:18 pm

I think when I say 'give in', I mean kind of trying to accept that I need a few adaptations to make life a bit easier. I'm one of those people that mentally says 'push through, run it off', but for the last 4 years, I haven't been able to. It's a double edged sword isn't it? Being diagnosed with fibro and cfs, i felt relieved I wasn't going nuts, and there was something wrong, but at the same time there's the acceptance that actually, you have a chronic illness, something that will never leave you.

I had an assessment today on the phone with an OT, she's sending someone out to look at my sofa to see if it can be raised. I don't think it can be personally, but they might have raisers I haven't seen before so we'll see. My mum lent me one of her sticks, but the hand grip is quite uncomfortable, I injured my hand/wrist in December last year, and although it's healed, (Multiple X-rays, CT and USS) I still have quite a bit of pain. My right shoulder has been painful for months, never seems to ease. I've seen some sticks with shaped hand grips that look like they might be easier to use. I love your super blinged up stick!!!

Oh, I just had to cancel my trip up to Scotland to where I grew up, gutted. I had planned to drive, 9 hours. It'd cost another £500 to fly and hire a car, and I don't have £500 in my bank account. Very sad, had planned to catch up with old school friends and pop over to Orkney, but hoping I can do it next year, not driving though obviously. This getting stuck in bed yesterday morning, has been a bit of a catalyst for change.
Charlie73
UKFM Member

Postby LindyM66 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:40 am

Hi Charlie,

I totally get you. I used to be so fit, through my 20s and 30s. Hit 40, and it was downhill all the way lol I've had many an argument with myself, and become frustrated over things I have difficulty with. But, there's still alot I can do, or find my own way of doing it -if that makes sense.
I hope you get a chance for your holiday, and catch up with your old school friends. Scotland has such beauty to offer - it's just unfortunate that the weather isn't guaranteed.

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby LindyM66 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:42 am

Oh, Charlie, I meant to add - the foam insulation "type stuff" that you get for pipes etc - if you can get a bit of that, and pop it around the handle of the stick, it may be more comfortable x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby Charlie73 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:49 pm

I think my body started hating me around 2009, gallstones and stomach ulcers :( it's all been downhill since then! I'll get back up to Scotland next year, I'll fly to Inverness and hire a car, can't be without a car in the highlands. The cooler weather suits me much better.

That reminds me, I wanted to find out if other people have similar symptoms, sweating, I can't call it perspiring, it's not a lady like glow! Profuse sweating, I don't even need to be out of breath, and it doesn't need to be hot either, my hair literally gets soaked. Also really annoying pins and needles in my hands, doesn't seem to be positional, it's got so bad in my left hand forefinger that it doesn't go away, I think I might mention it to my GP next time I see her.

I feel like I have millions of questions, this forum is really helpful, there's so much information!
Charlie73
UKFM Member

Postby LindyM66 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:41 am

Yes. The sweats are certainly not lady glows lol Just seems to come out of nowhere. I didn't know if it was menopausal sweats or fibro. Either way, they aren't pleasant. I've wiken up soaked in sweat. And during the day, it's as if someone has stuck a flame thrower up my backside!
Pins and needles - yip to that also! Although mines usually goes when I "shake it out".

Yayyy for fibro PMSL :-)

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby Jeany » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:42 pm

Lindym66
Sorry for late reply I never know if I have had a response. I love your blinged up crutches ( nearly put crutch but could be classed as inappropriate ha ha), and I love your attitude in general. It seems like you have accepted this illness or illnesses without actually giving in to them, but you still have a great sense of humour.

I like your style gorl.

Jeany xx
Jeany
UKFM Member

Postby galio » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:10 pm

[quote="Charlie73"

That reminds me, I wanted to find out if other people have similar symptoms, sweating, I can't call it perspiring, it's not a lady like glow! Profuse sweating, I don't even need to be out of breath, and it doesn't need to be hot either, my hair literally gets soaked. Also really annoying pins and needles in my hands, doesn't seem to be positional, it's got so bad in my left hand forefinger that it doesn't go away, I think I might mention it to my GP next time I see her. [/quote]

oh yes the sweats! but i have found that they usually accompany a surge of pain, and weirdly I feel the surge and get the sweat without the pain when my meds are on top of it! its the strangest feeling, you feel it start and you're waiting for the pain and it doesn't happen lol. I also get the sweats after doing something, mainly if i have had to get down the stairs to the toilet and back up. then there's the menopausal sweats that just pop up every now and then and they are jsut annoying, I never get them when im feeling cold grrrr.
galio
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia