Fibro fog or dementia ??

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibro fog or dementia ??

Postby Linda777 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:03 am

Hi, I have had FM for many years, diagnosed 12 years ago. Fibromy fog playing a bit part in my illness. Over the last two years or so my fog has been getting worse, I leave the gas on at times, forget to turn the Tao off, forget to lock the door and our things in the wrong place, I even drove to town in my car and came home on a bus! I will be 60 very soon, I saw my GP with hubby who is also worried as he says he tells me things and I don't remember, G P says she wants to refer me to a memory clinic???? I asked if it could be the statins that I have been taking fir the last couple if years bur she says no. Am I going mad I am so scared. Does F M affect anyone else's memory like that and does it get worse ...?
Linda X
Linda777
UKFM Newbie

Re: Fibro fog or dementia ??

Postby scoke » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:34 am

I forget stuff and don't remember it when reminded which is worrying but my husband has pointed out that I lose concentration when listening so haven't taken in what was said so rather than forgetting it totally it's more that I never heard it, it was never absorbed. I do remember quite a lot of stuff once reminded.
Other 'fog' problems include forgetting what I'm talking about, forgetting words I need, forgetting names, using wrong words, putting things in wrong places, not being able to find stuff which turns out to be where I looked or in it's usual or most obvious place, bad coordination, saying stuff that isn't true and/or that I had no inkling I was going to say - and a lot more stuff I've forgotten.. do go to the memory clinic, they should reassure you at best, and if there is a problem then at least they can help.
scoke
UKFM Member

Postby Northernlass » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:47 am

I'm 48, and I suffer Fibro fog daily. It really feels like I have dementia at times. I forget what I have just thought. I think of something I want to research on Google and by the time the google page has come up, I have forgotten what I wanted to look up. I struggle to watch tv or to watch a film because as soon as I get distracted I forget what I am watching or what has just happened, so I lose interest. I can't always comprehend what someone is saying to me and I struggle to get my words out. I get disorientated when I am outside and can't go to unfamiliar places. I got lost once and couldn't remember who I was. I can't follow a map or understand written instructions. I can't read a novel anymore. I just can't take it in and the words move and disappear. I am an educated woman with two degrees, but can no longer work out a simple mathematical calculation. I leave taps running, cooker rings on. I get so confused. I can't concentrate on anything for long and can't think clearly. It's like I am losing myself. But I'm not worried that I have dementia because I know my memory problems are due to having Fibro.

I think Linda, if your GP wants to send you to the memory clinic, then that's what you should do. It's most probably not Alzheimer's because your memory problems are most likely due to having Fibro, as the illness effects people cognitively as well as physically. It sounds like Fibro to me, but there is no harm finding out for certain, even just to put your husband's mind at rest. I doubt the statins would affect your memory.

I get scared and frustrated too, but I have come to the conclusion that there is no point worrying about tomorrow, when today is hard enough to get through. I just take it one day at a time. There is little point worrying about things I can't help or change, but despite saying that, I do find it hard accepting the illness I have and the debilitating effect it has on me.
Northernlass
UKFM Newbie

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:46 pm

My memory has definitely been affected by fibromyalgia, it's called fibro fog. It is best to go to the memory clinic and rule out anything else.

Hugs
Claire
xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:45 am

My memory is also a problem. Forget loads, often when I am reading I read what I think it should be. Say the daftest words at times. Really anything that causes brain function. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby LindyM66 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:13 pm

Yip. I have to write stuff down or I forget. I can't remember words or what things are called at times. I've often went round a roundabout a few times, as I cant remember where Im bloody going!

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia