Walking Sticks and Disability Parking

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Walking Sticks and Disability Parking

Postby Jazin95 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:40 pm

Hey, I am a newbie to the group. I was diagnosed with fibro last year and, to be honest, I am still getting used to it. However, lately, I have been having a lot of trouble with my stability, balance and walking a far distance. (Sometimes I feel they go hand in hand.) You see I'm a History and Art teacher in training and whilst on my month long holiday I had three pretty bad falls and many close calls, making five bad falls within the last year, as I was reminded by a friend. I feel like my legs just don't want to hold be up when I am tired and with lack of decent sleep that's most of the time bad and really bad when I have a flair up, not to mention when I go shopping.
All this got me seriously considering if I should make that step and buy a walking stick or cane and possibly asking my doctor for a parking permit on my bad days. What do you guys think? Is that a smart thing to do? I am only 21 and the idea of a cane and a 'disability' parking permit scares me.
Jazin95
UKFM Newbie

Re: Walking Sticks and Disability Parking

Postby Tired18 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:55 pm

Hi, the best thing to do is tiger your GP to refer you to your local independent living centre. They will help you with a walking stick or maybe even a wheel chair. You need to apply for a Blue Badge though the local council.
Tired18
UKFM Newbie

Postby lynlyn1212 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:48 pm

Hi.
This sounds so familiar! I am a primary teacher. I have had a blue badge for more than 3 years now. I got quite a lot of abuse from other people who thought that I didn't look disabled yet dared to used a disabled bay. I recently succumbed to getting a walking stick when I found a rather snazzy purple one. It has been a God send! Funnily enough I have stopped getting abuse and have instead had many offers of help to my car. A walking stick is a miracle worker! I have had Fibro symptoms for 14yrs although only a diagnosis for about 4. I hope I don't scare you but I have had to quit teaching as far too stressful and exacerbated symptoms.
Hope this helps.
P.S. when filling in blue badge form, keep the distance you can walk without a break below 200m, preferably below 100m. Obviously don't lie but when I wrote this they didn't question my need for a badge. A friend who wrote further was initially turned down but she had overestimated her actual capability. Good luck getting a snazzy stick or 2.
lynlyn1212
UKFM Member

Postby Jazin95 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:27 am

lynlyn1212 wrote:Hi.
I hope I don't scare you but I have had to quit teaching as far too stressful and exacerbated symptoms.

I understand, my last prac, both supervising teachers asked if it was really worth doing teaching. I am just now realising that stress really doesn't agree with me. It is hard trying to adjust to the life with this illness.
Jazin95
UKFM Newbie

Postby LindyM66 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:52 am

Hi Jazin;

Yes, it is hard adapting to our new life. But you will do that. You will learn what affects your symptoms and you will learn new ways of doing things.
One of these new ways, may well be using a stick or a crutch or a blue badge. I have both.
These aids are there to help us. My crutch prevents me from staggering side to side and gives me a little bit security. The blue badge is blooming marvellous! All councils operate differently of course, so check out the criteria required. I love having it - makes such a difference, especially for work. I work in a FE college, and "if you're not fast you're last" when it comes to getting a parking space. Not...any...more! Parking like a boss lol :-)
Don't be scared of getting what help you need chick - it's all to make life that wee bit easier. And u can really jazz them up. I have gorgeous spangly crutches. I posted a pic previously - cant remember where though.
With regards other peoples attitudes - who cares! Leave them to it. The world is full of these nanny goats!

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby LindyM66 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:54 am

20160621_151239.jpg
Here is one of my crutches :-)
20160621_151239.jpg (3.98 MiB) Viewed 3657 times
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby galio » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:34 am

I finally gave in and applied for a concessionary blye badge from my local council they turned me down but within the appeal time i was awarded PIP (much to my supprise after appeal) so I was entitled to an automatic badge I got it this week, its a god send I often get that debiltating exhaustion with no warning and go from walking and doing everything like an able bodied person to tripping on my own feet and getting slower than a snail with out realising it. Im working at the moment as a classroom assistant but realy struggling I thought i was doing not too bad til i over heard my husband tell his sister im at work but that its not going to happen for much longer, it hurts when others can see how bad i am and think these things before i have got my head round them but im so lucky my husband is so suportive and he comes home from work and makes out meal does dishes etc to help me feel im contirbuting by still working
so go for that blue badge and if your in the uk try for pip but always fill in any forms for your worst days dont tell them what you can do on a good day
galio
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia