Under 30 and using a walking stick.

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Under 30 and using a walking stick.

Postby Jazin95 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:23 pm

Yesterday I took the plunge and bought myself a walking stick. Being 21 I felt way too young to be buying such a stereotypically old-peoples thing, but alas I am now the proud owner of such an object.
Being a proud person I must admit I was harder than you could ever think to actually go to a store and buy one. I had tried many times in my hometown but each time I couldn't even walk into the store out of shame and anxiety. So big chicken me chose to go to E-bay and buy one, black with pink flowers. I was proud of myself for taking that step but online shopping is very different.

There was, however, one problem, it was taking quite awhile to get to me and I was really struggling so down I went to the shops and found a blue one, quickly grabbing all I wanted to do was hide. Grabbing a random piece of clothing I walked close to the self-serve cash register and ditched the clothes and quickly placed the folded up stick in the bag. Ugh the machine didn't want to work properly so a member of staff had to come and check the bag. Standing there, crumpling inside out of embarrassment I was shocked when she didn't bat an eyelid over the incident. She didn't even care. Finally arriving home after the ordeal, I sat in the care and opened the packaging, and stuffed it in my handbag, luckily it fits, YAY!

Man, it really makes a difference, not just with balance but also with the pain, I am really glad I bought it and still finding it funny that I have two.

I haven't used it out and about yet but that is my next adventure.
Jazin95
UKFM Newbie

Re: Under 30 and using a walking stick.

Postby NicolaT » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:15 pm

Well done for taking the plunge. In my opinion, whatever helps you get about is worth any embarrassment. I have used a stick since I was about 28 and in fact these last 2yrs I have had to use a 3-wheeled walker. Admittedly I didn't want to go outside the house with it at first, but my Husband said that if I don't, then I'll never get out - Ever!. I'm now 43 and we are now having to look ahead to a mobility scooter....I really don't want to though!!

Isn't it terrible that we have to worry about what others will think of us before we feel comfortable doing what we HAVE to do to help ourselves.

Good luck with your new sticks...maybe use the blue one for weekends and the other for weekdays xx
NicolaT
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia