Paleo diet.

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Paleo diet.

Postby Oldbiker » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:50 pm

I have been suffering with FIbromyalgia for some time now and other than pain killers when necessary, have found nothing actually works, ( as supported by many of your members comments ).
My GP has been most sympathetic, and although he doubts the effects of fad diets for any ailments, he suggested that a Paleo diet MAY offer some help with the condition. Have you any experience with this diet in relation to FM.
Oldbiker
UKFM Newbie

Re: Paleo diet.

Postby SchroedingersCat » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:46 pm

Not exactly, but I did 30 days earlier this year completely sugar and sweetener free (not even honey allowed) and have had a very low sugar diet ever since (which means very little bread, pre-made sauces etc) and my fatigue has all but vanished. I've heard anecdotal evidence via a friend who is a Paleo eater that it has helped another friend of his who has Fibro. I'm planning to try the Whole30 program (http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/) in a few weeks as again there is anecdotal evidence that it can help, which is a sort of extreme Paleo, and will report back once completed. My advice would be, try it and see, it's not going to hurt you as it's a fairly healthy way of eating anyway.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Oldbiker » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:22 pm

Firstly, thank you so much for your prompt response.
I'm giving the diet a go, and your sugar free diet certainly seems positive. To be honest, if something has a chance of working, I'll give it a try. For me, the lack of energy is more depressing than the Pain.
Again, thank you !
Oldbiker
UKFM Newbie

Postby SchroedingersCat » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:55 pm

Just realised, I didn't mention, I have previously tried going gluten free, and been on a low oxalate diet, neither of which made any difference to me at all.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Oldbiker » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:11 pm

Now that is interesting because my GP didn't think gluten free would help the condition. Your experience points me more to sugar free and / or Paleo.
I'll see how things go. Thanks.
Oldbiker
UKFM Newbie

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:34 am

Just to update on this, and I'm afraid the Whole30 diet did nothing that the sugar free diet hadn't already achieved. My next try is a nightshade free diet, but I'm having a bit of a rest and just being sugar and booze free for a couple of months before I tried this. However, since starting the sugar free diet last May, I have lost a total of 14 pounds in weight, without significantly increasing the amount of walking I'm doing.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia