vocal ticks

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

vocal ticks

Postby hcp81 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:40 pm

Does anyone else get vocal ticks or sudden involuntary movements? I get both. I either shout out a random sound or my arms go flying off somewhere. CFS clinic refered me on to immunologist who I'm still waiting to see.
hcp81
UKFM Newbie

Re: vocal ticks

Postby Northernlass » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:05 pm

Hi HCP81, I don't really have your symptoms. I have a slight tremor occasionally but no vocal ticks. I don't want to alarm you, but I think you could possibly need an MRI scan, just to be on the safe side. I am not a medical practitioner, but I have a mother who developed one of your symptoms years ago. Her arm would thrash about, especially in the morning and she had no control over it. Her temperament changed too. She had an MRI scan and it showed up two benign cysts on her brain and one was filling with fluid. She had to have a shunt inserted to drain the fluid into her stomach. There is also a simple test that you can do to see if there is an abnormality in your brain function. Get someone to sit in front of you to observe. Close your eyes and keep them closed until you are told to open them. Raise both your arms in front of you and to the level of your shoulders and keep them there for a minute or two. The person will ask you to open your eyes but don't drop your arms. If both your arms are level and at the same level when you started, then you're brain is probably normal, but if one arm has dropped, without you knowing, then that is an indication that something is interfering with your brain function. This test was done on my mother by her consultant and we do it occasionally just to check her shunt is not blocked. Please don't worry unnecessarily, your symptoms may be due to Fibro and a faulty central nervous system going haywire, and I know Fibro can cause seizures and new additional symptoms. It could be just nasty side-effects of medication. However, I would have thought that your doctor should have referred you to neurology first because ticks and involuntary movements as violent as an arms flying around are more than likely to be associated with the brain. Anyway, I hope you get to the bottom of it.
Northernlass
UKFM Newbie

Postby galio » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:09 am

i dont get vocal tics but i do get them else where, they are not huge but enough for me to feel them, usually my arms or legs and my core muscles in my tummy, yip i should have a 6 pack the way they go daft some nights, very rarely do i get them in the day time it seems to happen when im relaxed rather than stressed or busy, so far my husband hasn't said i wake him when they happen in bed. but yes make sure they look into it properly it may be fibro but it could be a number of other things any new symptoms you should get checked out
galio
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:00 am

Yes I get random jerky movements. I find a louder noise can also trigger them. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby galio » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:09 pm

dotty lotty wrote:Yes I get random jerky movements. I find a louder noise can also trigger them. :teddy-bear:

i never associated noise with my jerks but after reading that I have realised i often jump at loud noises even when i know there going to happen and even not so loud sudden unexpected noise can make me jump even my hubbie speaking when he has been quiet watching tv makes me jump.
galio
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia