What positives has fibromyalgia brought to your life?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:15 pm

HI

I've not been well lately, I had nearly a week off work with a fibro flare, so it's easy to focus on the negatives of life with this condition.
But, I don't want to let fibro take away my smile and positivity. So, I have been thinking about the positives:

I now know how strong and resilient I really am.
I now appreciate life's little pleasures - for me, happiness can be found on a cold Sunday afternoon, wrapped up in my slanket, snuggling with my cats, a movie on the TV, and a warm mug of hot chocolate in my hand.
I discovered the meaning of true friendship - I appreciate those friends who are still here for me.

Hugs
Claire
x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Re: What positives has fibromyalgia brought to your life?

Postby SchroedingersCat » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:20 pm

Mostly self discovery:

I have more willpower than I thought
I have a higher pain threshold than I thought
I can do more than most healthy people can when I set my mind to it
I am more bloody minded than I thought

Apart from that, it's been pretty rubbish, really. :twisted:
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:21 pm

Its very hard to think through all of the trauma from having chronic health and what things Iv lost but!.... sitting here thinking and looking at things I didnt before I feel brings a positive like:

Nature!

When I can I walk my dog up to the fields. The fields stretch for miles and miles and theres a bench I sit on. I look out at the fields, the trees, the clouds, the sky and wildlife. How quiet and peacefull it is. Its the best thing for me and always helps lift me out of a bad day and helps my moods.

I never before felt this way. Took it all for granted. I just feel lucky to be out and breathing in the fresh air. Clears my mind and makes me more positive.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby LindyM66 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:09 pm

Fibromyalgia has taught me to take time out for me. Time to self care. Realisation that stuff can wait. Learning what I can do, and what I shouldn't do.
As you said Claire, friends! I now can very clearly, differentiate between real friends, and aquaintences.
It has also taught me to let go of the anger that I felt towards those who I thought were friends, but have been forgotten by them.

Lots of positive things, for self growth.

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby AngieRo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:24 pm

Hello
well after finally accepting it and learning how to live with it, these are the positives FM has brought to my life: listen to my body, take time to rest without feeling guilty (not always, I have to admit, I sometimes still feel guilty about having a rest on a Saturday afternoon when everybody else is running around sorting things out), enjoy the good days yay :-), healthy eating - a big positive for me! and also the fact that I can actually take more pain than I ever thought I could!
Be strong everyone and have a good night sleep!
xx
AngieRo
UKFM Newbie

Postby Bobby16 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:48 pm

There are no positives to this horrible disease. Sorry to say that but it's ruined my life.
Bobby16
UKFM Member

Postby LindyM66 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:33 am

Hi Bobby

FM sure can change your life-in many ways. There is alot I can't do anymore. I felt angry about this initially. Normal reaction Id say.
I had to try and adapt to " my new body". Do things differently. I'm still learning, and yes, I have times when I feel very bitter towards FM, for taking my "old life" from me.
But, making a new one can be exciting and fun too :-)

Big hugs Bobby.

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby galio » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:44 pm

hmm positives of fibro... i have learnt to let go of stuff that i cant do anything about or change,
live for the moment, (especially the ones when you feel able to do stuff lol)
that there are people out there that see past the fibro and recognise who you really are and are willing to join you in celebrating good days and are there to listen on the bad days.
to love myself, strange how i can do that more now than when i could do everything for everyone! (maybe i was too busy loving everyone else)
enjoying the little pleasures in life, the birds singing the flowers nodding in the breeze (howling gales more like lol )
and a biggie allowing others to help me this has been difficult but now its a positive as I need the help and as a helper thoroughout my life i know the joy it can give others being able to help someone less able to do things.
galio
UKFM Member

Postby Bobby16 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:50 pm

It's hard seeing any light .
Bobby16
UKFM Member

Postby Bobby16 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:52 pm

Any light anyone.
Bobby16
UKFM Member

Postby Eian Mcneely » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:49 am

Hi Clarie,

Good to know the positive approach you are moving forward with. The good thing about bad time is it doesn’t last forever and also unveils many true faces.

Hoping things will change for us all positively
Eian Mcneely
UKFM Member

Postby Bobby16 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:24 am

It's good to have a positive approach. Some people though, are just not up to it. None of us would be on sites like this if it was all Rosey.
Bobby16
UKFM Member

Postby LindyM66 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:02 am

Hi Bobby,

You're right, many peope do struggle to see positives, particularly when in pain. It can be so hard to be positive, when I can hardly move due to stiffness, the seemingly neverending pain, or the times when during a flare, I have to ask my busband to wipe my a** coz my arm won't move.
Many many negative things about fibro, and how it changes your life - no doubt about it.
However, for me, I had to push myself to focus on more positive things. I was getting stuck in a very negative rut, and that doesn't help.
I think people come on the site, not because life is rosey, but to share experiences, good, bad and ugly, because only those who truly understsnd how fibro affects us, can understand where we're coming from. Sometimes helpful tips for pain relief, or simple self caring, can make a difference. Also, to know yoj're not alone with this shi**y condition, can give comfort too - as it can feel very isolating.

Big hugs
Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby Bobby16 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:30 pm

Thanks Lindy. I guess I'm just frightened what the future will hold. I work full time and do shifts. Sometimes I'm crippled trying to walk to the car after work. Muscle spasms in my lower legs have been constant for maybe four months. Along with masses of other symtoms. I can't seem to see who can help with the problems of mobility. I mean practical stuff. I'm almost on my knees at times. My job is everything to me I want to keep it so I've got to stay functional. My body doesn't want to stay functional. I start physiotherapy at the end of this month. I'm hoping they will help although I've heard physiotherapy can be hit or miss. It's just taking away my Independence. Can anyone tell me if symptoms of this condition ever improve. Every day I think things will improve.but they just haven't. Any advice from anyone would truly be greatfully recieved
Bobby16
UKFM Member

Postby LindyM66 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:47 am

Hi Bobby,

Oh I so hear you! I work full time too. I assess people in their work places, which means I'm driving around alot - can hardly straighten up by the time I get to where I'm going. I teach at times too - and the stammer I've developed is a pain in the rear - but I make a joke of it.
Some days are better than others, mobility wise, but I've been really struggling at the moment. I use my crutch always - gives a little added support. I too have been taking muscle spasms all over my body - GP gave me diazepam to see if this will help. Physio gave me gentle exercises to do in the pool. I kinda made my own up, which I do in the morning with my flicker mop. I slide the mop which gets my shoulders moving, and swing my hips at the same time - not pretty - but helps to loosen me off.
For me, the symptoms differ on an almost daily basis. I always have pain, and take my pain meds. I fell an absolute cracker in the kitchen the other day. My glasses were ontop of my head, they pinged across the kitchen, I piddled my knickers at the force I hit the deck ( thank god for tena lady lol). I couldn't get back up! However, I did a very impressive commando crawl over to the kitchen chair, and managed to haul myself up.
It is scarey Bobby. There are times when I let my head run away with me thinking of all the "what ifs". I quickly pull myself out of that.
I'm waiting on a referral to neurology, to rule out ( or in) MS. That set my mind off once again with the "what ifs".
I have had terrible fatigue this weekend - never experiienced it this bad before. I slept most of yesterday. I couldn't fight it.
No one knows what is round the corner, so try and live in the day Bobby. Don't think too far ahead - I know that can be so hard. I use humour alot- when I walk into doorways, thump my head of EVERYTHING that is thumpable and various other things that - IF I LET IT - only remind me of what I'm NOT anymore. Does that make sense?

One day at a time, breathe and go with the flow of the day. And never feel alone, coz I'll bet, each one of us have that fear of the unknown future, creep into our minds. You shove those thoughts right back out Bobby. Kick them to the kerb!

Always here for an ear.
Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia