What tests might I need?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What tests might I need?

Postby MOOGLE » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:02 pm

Hi all,

I have posted another topic about the fact that my physio thinks that I have fibro. My Doctor agrees that it could be possible, I certainly seem to have a lot of the symptoms.

I've been referred to see a rheumatologist on the NHS, but as I'll have to wait until about May, I'm going private for the first appointment. I've been told that this still might take up to 3 weeks (which I think is mental seeing as it's costing £250, but apparently they have a big case load)

Seeing as I will need to go back on the NHS & can't afford to have any tests done privately (I'm self funding) I was wondering specifically what tests the rheumatologist might want to do?
I recently had blood tests (apparently they were quite comprehensive, but I don't know what they looked for specifically) & I've had an MRI which came back as clear apart from a few minor issues.
I'm just thinking that if it is just blood tests I could ask the Doctor to do this prior to my appointment & take the results with me.

Thanks.
MOOGLE
UKFM Member

Re: What tests might I need?

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:04 pm

Hi,

Yes normaly just blood tests. If the GP has sent you to the Reumatologist to look into a Firbo diagnoses then its worth asking. They may or may not as its for private and not NHS. The GP maybe unsure in what bloods to cover so there maybe some additional ones that could need doing but the basic ones are for things like: inflammatory markers (RA/CRP/ESR) the theres the Auto-immune bloods (ANA/ANCA) tyroid and all round blood counts for liver/kidny function, white cells etc. This is a process of elimination NOT for diagnoses. I would ask ask for Vitamin D as many Fibro's seem to have a deficiancy, although this time of year many people have a low count.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby MOOGLE » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:43 pm

Thanks for the response Lisa, that's really helpful.
The GP does know that I intend to go private for the first appointment & then back to the NHS, so I'm hoping that she'll do them.
I know that they tested a few weeks ago for inflammation & that came back as normal. Not sure what else, she did reel off a load of things, but I really can't remember what they were.
I'll ask about the others though & I'll ask if I can have a print out of the last set of results.
MOOGLE
UKFM Member

Postby galio » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:54 am

when my husband went private for a shoulder problem the gp sent the xrays etc to the surgeon and recommended the surgeon, fortunately husband has private cover through his employer and many people in our area do so the gps often work along side they also get a report back from any health professional you have been seen by, hubbie went private for physio first shoulder but used nhs after the op on his other shoulder. waiting times are often only slightly shorter as you will find the person you are seeing is the one you would see on the nhs and they have to balance this work with their private practice.
galio
UKFM Member

Postby Wasado » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:32 am

Hi. I'm new to this site, I have had back problems for years however these last 12 months have had symptoms which I thought were arthritis, had some blood test and MRI scan apart from wear and tear nothing has come up. I'm on the patchs for the pain, I stopped taking the patch for 2 days to see if it was all in my head went back on them within 2 days the pain was back. I have bad flair ups I am appt to see the doctor in 3 weeks to see if she thinks it's fibromyalgia should I be asking her what she should be looking for. I have said to the before that some days I can't get out of bed getting in and out of the car is painful, do you think it's all in my head or could it be I have this beginning to think I'm moaning all the time.
Wasado
UKFM Newbie

Postby MOOGLE » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:53 pm

Wasado wrote:Hi. I'm new to this site, I have had back problems for years however these last 12 months have had symptoms which I thought were arthritis, had some blood test and MRI scan apart from wear and tear nothing has come up. I'm on the patchs for the pain, I stopped taking the patch for 2 days to see if it was all in my head went back on them within 2 days the pain was back. I have bad flair ups I am appt to see the doctor in 3 weeks to see if she thinks it's fibromyalgia should I be asking her what she should be looking for. I have said to the before that some days I can't get out of bed getting in and out of the car is painful, do you think it's all in my head or could it be I have this beginning to think I'm moaning all the time.

I don't think it's in your head at all.

You need to get referred to somebody who can help you. If your tests have come back as normal insist on being referred to a rheumatologist.
Some of the GP's at my practice have been very unhelpful, so I kept seeing different people until I saw somebody who was willing to listen to me & help.

I've found that doing research myself to piece everything together has helped.

The alternative therapist that I see is also pretty certain that I have fibro too (he has a lot of experience of helping people with it) & it was him who was the one who first mentioned it.
MOOGLE
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia