Any tips for fibro-fog?!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Any tips for fibro-fog?!

Postby banana » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:15 pm

Hello! I won't speak for anyone else, but for me fibro-fog is one of the most frustrating and humiliating things! I know exactly what I am trying to say but I cannot get the words together/ forget what I am talking about- often mid sentence. Sometimes I find that it helps to close my eyes, but most the time I just find myself apologising and looking like a right numpty! What are everyone else's experiences? Anyone got any handy/helpful tips to clear the all-mighty fog?!

:-D
banana
UKFM Member

Re: Any tips for fibro-fog?!

Postby dotty lotty » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:07 am

Sadly not found anything to clear the fog. My brain seems to be so easily distracted and I forget what I am talking about. Sometimes I get quite frustrated but other I just have to laugh at myself. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby LindyM66 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:40 am

Hi Banana,

I wish I had! I'm the same-forget words, what I'm trying to say, stammer etc. I have to write everything down or I'll forget.
I used to be so verbally articulate.
I just laugh. What else is there for it? I used to get so frustrated, but there's no point, as that just causes stress, and stress causes increased pain.
Like being stuck on a whirly gig :-)

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:31 am

Hi

Like Lindy I just laugh at myself when I get tongue tied, I try (sometimes unsuccessfully) not to let it get me down or to stress about it. I also write everything down, either in a small notebook I keep with me or a note-taking app on my tablet and phone.

Hugs
Claire
x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Postby Bobby16 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:30 pm

Hi, I've been unwell for 4 years. Last year out of the blue for no known explained reason. My left hand turned ischemic. Was admitted to hospital for iloprost infusion. After many investigations I was diagnosed with a Raynaud's phenomenon.I now have stellate ganglion blocks when needed. Unable to tollorate nifedipine. My symptoms have continued. I've been tired for 3 years. The last 6 months the fatigue has been so severe when I finish work I can bearly drive home. When I get home and sit down I can't move. I can't get a drink, go the bathroom or make myself anything to eat. I don't sleep only rotate.My muscles hurt so bad.For 5 months now the muscles in my lower legs twitch continually. Feeling it more when I'm in bed.2 months ago I was relaxing watching TV. I looked across to my husband and started screaming in pain. My right lower leg looked deformed and my foot flicked out to the side.The muscle spasm was severe. A month ago I had a diagnosis of fibromyalgia. The Rhematologist has referred me for physiology and started me on a low dose of amitriptyline. My quality of life sucks at the moment. I don't see my family much any more because I feel to exhausted to moment. Life for me at the moment is very tough.Am I likely to get in a better place. Thanks
Bobby16
UKFM Member

Postby Bobby16 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:03 am

Oh yes I forgot to say my memory not so good at present .
Bobby16
UKFM Member

Postby banana » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:29 pm

Hi Bobby16, I am very sorry to hear that you are struggling. And it really does suck!! I have only had my diagnosis for around 9 months but have been in pain/ fatigued for many many years and when it is bad it is all consuming and feels as though nothing will be the same again. But then it passes. I can't say that it gets better as everyone is different, but everyone with fibro has good days (weeks/ months/ years) and then there is the bad. I would say that I am still coming to terms with my diagnosis and i an realising that I have to make the most of the times when things aren't so bad- is there anything that wouldn't tire you out too much that you can do? For me, I have always been quite a creative person and so I do a lot of crafty things. The other thing I would say is that there are things which you can do to help yourself- like your bed- what kind of pillows are you using and how supportive is your mattress? The amitriptyline will help with sleep and your dosage may need increasing- I think it can be increased to around 70mg. Although the higher the dose, the more drowsy you may feel the next day and it does take some getting used to! It may help to keep a pain diary so you can keep track of possible triggers? There are other pain killers your GP can prescribe (e.g. Naproxen or codeine/ paracetamol). Physio is a good way to go. Cognitive behavioural therapy is often recommended to learn ways to manager pain. And the best advice I can give is to pace yourself (not always an easy thing), keep going back to the GO to update your mess according to your pain levels, find the good in the little things that get you through the everyday and know YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!! Sending gentle hugs
banana
UKFM Member

Postby LindyM66 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:13 am

Hi Bobby

I can relate. A couple of years before my diagnosis of FM, I had a similar experience as yourself, except it was my toes that turned blue. Went to A & E, was sent to the out of hours GP , who said, " oh this is a chillblain". A chillblain! Now, in all my years as a nurse ( I no longer practice) I have never seen a chillblain that spreads over all toes, and starts to track up my foot.
Long story short - it was PVD - peripheral vascular disease. I was commenced on nifedipine, and tolerate it well.
I have widespread pain with the fibro, and like most of us I'm guessing, have days where I could jump out the window, as the pain is so bad and my whole body seizes up. When it's bad, I can't even wipe my own backside.
I currently take gabapentin 300mgs x 3 a day, tramadol 100 x4 a day and have just been given diazepam to see if it will help with the muscle spasms-particularly at bedtime. The amitriptyline didnt work for me unfortunately. Just left me feeling as if I jad the hangover from hell, in the morning. I couldn't cope with that.
I use heat pads (electric) and those ones you can zap in the microwave - I find heat helps no end. I have a massage pillow, and a massage chair - which helps to loosen the muscles, but can be blooming sore at the time. Epsom salts - a good 4 heaped cups into the bath and a good soak for 30 mins at least.
It's trial and error with meds - which can be frustrating, and trying different things to see if they offer some relief.
Although there is lots of things I can't do anymore, there's still alot that I can do - and thats what I focus on. No point focussing on what we can't do anymore, as that can be destructive to the soul. I work full time- although it can be a struggle as the fatigue can hit me like a sledgehammer. I love to crochet - gives me a focus, and a lovely product at the end.
Pacing ourselves is so important. Its like eeking our daily battery out, so it lasts us til bedtime.
You will find your own path in this journey - you just have to dodge a few boulders on the way.

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby Bobby16 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:16 pm

Yesterday I had to get a taxi. He asked for my address. I came out with my childhood address. Then for a moment I couldn't remember my address.then I said to myself ok think. Eventually I remembered. I've laughed today.I'm thinking if I can't remember my own address I've got problems. Then when I've read posts previously on this site. I know it's a common problem with this condition.
Bobby16
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia