Low B12 & folate

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Low B12 & folate

Postby MOOGLE » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:04 pm

Hi all,

I'm waiting to get a firm diagnosis of fibro from the rheumatologist.
I asked the Doc to do some blood tests before my appointment with her in April.

I've had a call from the docs who told me that my B12 & folate have come back as low.

I'm having a phone consultation with the Doc tomorrow, but was wondering if this could be the source of my problems or just adding to/the source of the tiredness/lethargy?

I've had pain in my back for a year & 4 months now. This has moved from lower to also include my mid and upper back/neck.

I've also had daily headaches for as long as I can remember, IBS problems & I feel groggy & tired constantly.

Any thoughts?
MOOGLE
UKFM Member

Re: Low B12 & folate

Postby galio » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:22 pm

my son was having new problems of tremor and weakness of his hands on testing he was low in folic acid, the gp looked it up as he had never had anyone with that result and found that this was a very likely cause of the new symptoms, if your low in these its worth trying a supplement from the doctor but I very much doubt it will be the cause of all your problems,but may be causing some of them, It would be great if if was and it helps, I have read that a lot of fibro warriors have problems with some vitamin deficiencies but mine have always been fine. both my son and I blame our hypermobility syndrome for our fibro, a lot of people we know from the HMS comunity also have fibro.
galio
UKFM Member

Postby MOOGLE » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:35 pm

Thanks for the reply.

My B12 is 125, so pretty low & my folate is 2.4, which is also low.

I know that B12 should be about 500 ideally, but not sure what folate should be.

The Doc said that I need a re-test & if it's still low I've got to have B12 injections. I asked if she thinks that this is the sole cause of the tiredness & she said that she still thinks that I have fibro. It certainly doesn't account for the pain.
MOOGLE
UKFM Member

Postby MOOGLE » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:36 pm

I'm also hypermobile.
MOOGLE
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia