The difference between ME , Fibro etc

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

The difference between ME , Fibro etc

Postby DaveD » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:05 am

Hi all

Had a very interesting chat with a friend of mine yesterday who suffers with severe chronic pain and what he termed as relapses , one minute he is fine then the next he is terrible . ( sound familiar ? )

Another chap I know has ME , another chap has neuropathic pain but they nearly all share the same symptoms .

Its all very confusing isn't it ?

Since I was diagnosed a few weeks back I have found out quite a lot of people I have spoken to have a relative with fibromyalgia but until I mentioned it no one even spoke about it . :roll:

atvb

Dave
You may only be someone in the world, but to someone else, you may be the world.
DaveD
UKFM Member

Re: The difference between ME , Fibro etc

Postby princess » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:57 pm

Hi i have ME and Fibro - the only way i can explain what i see as the difference is - ME is more the sleepy and exhaustion part of our illness, the fibro is more the ligament/tendon/muscle pain - otherwise they kind of link into each other.
I had 16 pain points when i was diagnosed in 1995 - then you only needed 9 to have both illnesses. I also found out the same day i had Mytral Valve Prolapse.
So hope that explains it - if you go into me pages and fibro pages you will see people complaining of much the same problems.
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby rosie66 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:53 pm

Hi,
I am the same as princess,i have ME AND Fibro, never would have thought i had ME, like you,i have come across others that have one or the other or both,they just never said anything :mrgreen:
rosie66
UKFM Regular

Postby princess » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:22 pm

Rosie are you like me is it hard to distinquist between them over the years.
ME can burn itself out i was told -------------------mmmmmmmmmmmmm 15 years ago, and i think maybe it has somewhat as the exhaustion is not as terribly bad as it was - but other things have been found wrong.
i wonder if part of the dustbin for ME is correct.
Now i have no oestrogen, heart problem, sciatica in both legs and balance ear problems.
Thats enough but together maybe that is the ME.
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby DaveD » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:29 pm

Thanks very much for the comments , my friend said that ME is exhaustion more than anything but the problem is that many of us are on meds that knock us out so its hard to distinguish between the two .

I get terrible ' bouts ' of exhaustion and could nearly fall asleep in an instant but most of the time I am totally knackered for an hour and then I am ok again - come to think of it that happens quite a lot ???

atvb

Dave
You may only be someone in the world, but to someone else, you may be the world.
DaveD
UKFM Member

Postby rosie66 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:35 pm

PRINCESS I seem to learn more on here than anywhere,which is good cos you can't keep going up to the Dr's everyday or everytime you want to ask a question,
Who said that ME can burn itself out over the years,all i can say is, yeh right.
I have sciatica,and tinnitus, is that all connected too :mrgreen:
rosie66
UKFM Regular

Postby Ange » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:47 pm

princess wrote:Rosie are you like me is it hard to distinquist between them over the years.
ME can burn itself out i was told -------------------mmmmmmmmmmmmm 15 years ago, and i think maybe it has somewhat as the exhaustion is not as terribly bad as it was - but other things have been found wrong.
i wonder if part of the dustbin for ME is correct.
Now i have no oestrogen, heart problem, sciatica in both legs and balance ear problems.
Thats enough but together maybe that is the ME.
princess

I have bad balance problems too. The Neurologist says it is the fybro, and others have said that too. I have a stick now to stop me falling over....and mostly stagger about in the oddest way...

I'm just waiting for someone to see me stagger to my van and get in.....and a blue light to follow me and pull me up...".do you mind blowing into this bag madam"....lol

Ang x
Never drive faster than your Angels can fly.
Ange
UKFM Member

Postby margaretfield » Thu May 09, 2013 2:06 pm

ive found a very interesting article which differentiates the differences between ME and fybromyalgia
http://www.hfme.org/topicmedefsandfm.htm
margaretfield
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazq » Thu May 09, 2013 4:56 pm

This post is 4 years old Margaretfield so the original poster might not be around anymore but thanks for the link, we also have a sticky post up on the differences between Fibro/CFS/ME

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8969#p92905
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby penfriend » Fri May 10, 2013 9:39 am

I have had M.E. for years and years, will not say how many, and then Fibromyalgia added about 20 years ago! A great combination! One cannot really tell one from the other, always in much pain, always exhausted and very disabled. My sympathies to you all that have both particularly, its quite a struggle to get through life, but keep pressing on, always looking for that better day. sincerely, penfriend
penfriend
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:47 pm

you could have a look in here

http://www.burnoutsolutions.com.au/cfs.htm
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia